3.3 ] One Less X

••●••

••●••

I FOUND MY way back to the van easily after fighting off two extra strangers. When I returned to the van, pretty much everyone was there. It took my about three minutes into our chaotic ride back to base that Margeux was nowhere to be seen.

"She had to of just ran to a different street," Sasha tries out loud, "Or caught a cab or something - maybe she was ran out of a different exit and couldn't get to the van-"

"She's not with us." Liam snaps, "And it's a shame - it really is - but we had to leave. They were coming. And Vika has a shot wound right now, so let's try and save a life we know we can save instead of one we have no idea what their status is."

I glare at him, biting the inside of my cheek until blood seeps through.

I should have kept a closer eye on her. I should have been with her. Someone should have been with her. She's new. The newest here. Of course she isn't going to listen as well, or fucking go by the rules-

"She needs stitches." Heather says aloud (Elliot is driving this time) looking around at the rest of us. 

"We'll need to wait till we get back." Keagen shakes his head, "There aren't any here."

"Fuck." Heather looks back towards Vika, chewing on her lip as if she's trying to find some other replacement for stitches.

News flash: there isn't. 

"How many of them were there?" Liam breathes, pushing his hair back.

"Enough to run us out." Odyssey says, eyes still trained on Vika who is conscious for the most part but still in evident pain. It's rare to see Vika in pain. But I'm also not surprised not one tear has escaped her eyes yet. 

"Someone betrayed us." I say, thinking out loud, "Someone on our team or maybe another had to of called it in and helped them get more people on sight."

"No. No way." Liam shakes his head, "No one here would have done it. Except Margeux."

Heather squeezes her eyes shut, "I hate to admit it but he's right. Maybe she's not here because she's with them right now."

"That wouldn't make sense." I scan my memory for any signs, "She was simple before she met us. I looked into her a bunch, no trails to any other crime syndicates or anything. Why would she, a normal person, switch between groups so quickly? She knows nothing about this life."

"Maybe because she isn't a normal person." Odyssey, again, contributes to the conversation without taking her eyes off of Vika. 

There's probably going to be some survivors guilt there if Vika dies. Not that she will. I hate to be a pessimist, but we have to think about it. And I may not be close with anyone on this team anymore, but I would say I like Vika. That she shouldn't die here, in a van, bleeding out onto its floor.

"Quickly." Elliot opens the back doors and helps Vika out after he parks, "We need her inside now. Someone run to get thread."

Thanks to our training the lot of us act speedily with practice. We carry Vika in efficiently, stop into the first room we can which happens to actually be the cafeteria and lay her down on a table. Heather continues to apply pressure to her stomach at one end of the table while Odyssey stays at the other end keeping Vika awake. 

Keagen and Elliot both rush out together in search of the necessary medical equipment whilst Sasha gets on the phone with my father for further information and instructions.

"You with me?" I hear Odyssey saying, holding Vika's face.

Vika nods painfully, wincing as she tries to sit up.

"No, no, no, we're not doing that." Odyssey helps her back down.

"Twenty-six," Sasha comes up next to me as I stand at a far away distance, "There were twenty-six there. Team Y ended up scoping the situation from afar and counting."

"Are they returning now or staying to figure something out?" I ask.

"They left immediately." Sasha informs.

Good, I think. I won't say it out loud since Vika should probably be the priority - but if Team Y managed to snag this mission and complete it, we would look pretty fucking terrible. Team X is supposed to be better. Not surprised or ambushed by nobodies with a narcissistic band name. 

"Any sign of Margeux?" I find myself asking.

Sasha shakes her head.

"She didn't betray us." I say.

"I don't think so either." Sasha agrees, "But I also think...that she might not be alive right now."

"Maybe." I exhale. 

"Eight of us getting out was lucky though." Sasha tries to sound optimistic.

I continue to stare at Vika, "Maybe seven."

••●••

Jury Duty is funny as fuck dude.

Sasha trying to be calm and optimistic:

- Juana.