4.7 ] Auditorium

••●••

••●••

"YOU HAVE TO go in today." I tell Margeux. It's been two mornings after the incident - and if it were any other day - she could probably stay here. But it's not. It's Check Up Day. Or Operation Baby. And everyone has to go. Doesn't matter if you're sick or not. If you can move, you show up. 

Yesterday my dad called me. Checked up on Margeux, made conversation. Then he asked the big question. 

"I still want her on Team X."

"Seriously?"

"She's valuable. It's worth the risk."

So now Margeux's been welcomed back. The last time I saw someone treated this nicely here was...well, on myself. When I wasn't fired for killing Jeremiah. I quit anyway, but I wasn't fired for it.

"Go in?" Margeux tilts her head.

"To work."

"Work?"

"You're still employed idiot." I flick her forehead. 

"I didn't know that!"

"I forgot to tell you." I shrug.

"Can I be sick today though-"

"No, it's Check Up Day." I roll my eyes.

"Check up what now-"

"Like...how do I explain this to someone like you? The Grammys...or the Oscars, but instead of celebrities, it's our whole building and department." I reach for my point.

"Good job," Margeux nods, "That was actually done pretty well for me."

"I try."

"Do I have to...see everyone?" She asks hesitantly. 

"I mean...you have to sit in the Team X section...but I can sit in between you and everyone." I offer. 

"Yeah?"

"Yeah. Except I kind of have to get up and talk so you'll be alone during that portion-"

"Fuck."

"-but if there are no interruptions I'll only talk for like ten minutes max." I finish. 

"Why do you have to talk? Is it because you're dad is the director?"

"No," I shake my head, "Someone from each team represents their group. I'm representing Team X."

"That doesn't seem very Reign." Margeux points out skeptically. I don't like how well she knows me. It's a little confronting. 

"It isn't," I nod, "But this year it is."

"Why?"

Here we go. It's a long one to explain but I should be able to quicken the process.

"Odyssey and Elliot automatically bail out - they hate this stuff the most, if anyone recommended them they'd actually kill you. Heather usually bites the bullet and does it for us, but she's uh, in mourning - Keagen would be the next option, but he's also mourning - Vika would probably get into an argument with someone in Team Y on stage and Sasha, as of last night, is a mess." I list off, no stutters or breaths.