4.2 ] Evil & Ill

••●••

••●••

MARGEUX DEFINITELY DOESN'T like the idea of a professional coming in. I can tell by the way she closes up instantly - pleaded even - and has no smile on her face anymore.

I've never seen her put in her place. She's always been laughter and teasing and annoyance. But here she is. Quiet. No smile. No contempt. 

My dad has called in professionals. For specific reasons and specific cases. Two years ago there was an incident where someone in Team Y started shooting civilians - people who weren't on our hit list - and we had to figure out if it was a mental thing. 

We found out he had schizophrenia. 

Now I don't think Margeux has schizophrenia. Then again, I know barely anything about her or her past. I know of her father, the gymnastics coach - the boyfriend. I don't know anything beyond it - she hasn't even out right told me she murdered them. Well, I do know the boyfriend cheated. But other than that? Nothing. 

"Harris is very trusted around here." Dad tells her while we wait, "Everything you say will be confidential - the only people who will know are in this room."

"What happens if you decide I'm too psycho?" Margeux asks. 

He stays silent. Doesn't give her an answer. I know what it is though. We can't have people working here just leave. Even if you're retiring. You don't quit. Otherwise, we kill you. Because that is the way of things, and that is how leaks start. 

There are some special privileges if you want to leave. Like if you're me. Who's been on and off on this force recently. But that's all to do with my familial standing. Otherwise, no. I'd be murdered too. 

"I hate therapists." Margeux grumbles.

"Harris isn't a therapist."

"Whatever he is would be the fancy version of one so I don't care, same thing." Margeux glares at my father. 

It's weird not seeing him as stern as he usually is. Usually, in front of most, he's vulgar and threatening. Minus me. And Margeux apparently, who he seems to be ignoring her rudeness - I'm guessing because of her work today. 

Eleven guys? With a knife? He'll treat her like the jackpot. 

Eventually when Harris arrives, he shakes our hands and sits in the armchair across from Margeux. She's still wet and bloodied - but it's not soaking like it was when I found her. Just damp. 

"You must be Margeux." Harris smiles in her direction, crossing a leg over the other. 

"No, that would be prince charming to my left." She jabs a finger in my direction. 

I roll my eyes and Harris smiles knowingly, clasping his hands together in front of him. 

"I heard you've terminated one of your comrades?" He brings it up casually.