1.3 ] Low Enough

••●••

••●••

I FEEL LIKE I'm in high school for the second time as I carry my tray through bustling lines in some cafeteria.

I also feel like I've moved to a different state all over again based off of the way people stare at me and others ogle.

Odyssey waves me over to a table in the back - Sasha and my other new roommate Vika at her side.

It's nice to have made girl friends so quickly. Nice that they're adults and mature so I won't have to worry about prissy bullshit.

I'm stopped though as I make my way towards them.

Stopped by a stranger who stands directly in front of my line of sight of Odyssey.

It better not be purposeful.

"Excuse me." I mutter, trying to nudge past him. I'm not particularly looking for any trouble on my first real day.

But he only continues to stand in my way, two goons at his side.

"You the new girl?" He asks.

"Since yesterday."

"You the one that did jack shit and ended up as one of the reds?" He asks with a scoff.

"One of the what now?" I scrunch my eyebrows together.

"You heard me." He sneers, taking a step forward.

I'm grateful Odyssey makes it to my side quickly, standing protectively to my left as she eyes down the stranger wearing a wife beater covered in dirt.

"Leave Otis," She says, "Bullying her won't magically change you from a blue."

Again. A what now?

"Compared to her, I'm not blue. I'm her superior." Otis snarls.

"Sure bud," I shrug, "I really don't care."

All I want is to kill more people. Don't care who orders it.

"Listen here, bitch," Otis pushes Odyssey to the left so he can better talk at me, "You don't get to walk around like those reds do. You don't convince yourself you're better than the rest of us just because you've been stupidly granted a place here. You keep your head low, avoid eye contact with us in the halls, and you do as you're told. Got it?"

I nod hesitantly, slouching in my stance and walking forward with tray in hand.

I would have let it go.

I really would have.

But then I notice all the eyes on whatever just happened. On me. I notice Odyssey moving reluctantly - probably bruised from that push.