50: Chessboard

Midnight and the rest of his pack members were greeted by two sentinels from Amadeus on the day of the Gathering. Both had a head of a bull and a body of a mortal that stood 5 inches taller than him. They were wearing stoic expressions on their faces. Strong built. Strong energy. Midnight couldn't help but notice the Emperor knew enough to appoint these two sentinels on him.

They were only given 4 days of silence before the escorts have come to get them in their camp. It was part of the tradition at the Gathering. Escorts from the home kingdom would be sent to get each of the rulers and their elite guards--- the only ones who were allowed to join--- for the meeting. These escorts could use any teleportation magic. It was to see and validate attendance. For the rulers to have safe and efficient transportation, and to fully avoid any delays.

As they all walked the same dark corridors of Amadeus's palace, Midnight studied the two escorts leading the line. Walking a step behind him were Killian and Tartarus. Vlad, Day, and Dhar were behind them. Ayaw pang sumama ni Dhar ngunit hindi pumayag si Midnight na maiwan ito sa kampo. He had other plans with the army, he had other plans for Dhar.

They were being led into routes he had recognized at first glance from all the maps he had acquired before, figuring it was a tactic to keep the rulers from crossing their paths with one another along the way. Fights were common in meetings and most were triggered by the words exchanged in the hallways. He would have done the same if he were the emperor. But a meeting without action was plain and boring. Sahar would have loved witnessing such fights. The Pack--- except for Killian and maybe Day--- would have loved seeing one too. It would be pure entertainment for them.

Midnight kept his face in front, kept a neutral expression as he subtly observed the surroundings, kept the same cold demeanor until they halted in front of two glass doors that would lead them inside the war council room. There were two other sentinels guarding the doors. Shorter ones. Leaner. In sync, they both opened the doors.

He had only entered the war council room of Amadeus once in his whole life. The emperor was still Tobias's father. Tobias and the current emperor--- hindi pa sila pinanganak no'n. It was the same event. The Gathering. Little Midnight wasn't invited yet his curiosity pushed him to sneak inside the war council room and eavesdrop. He wasn't very clever during those times. It was his father who caught him, and he ended up inside the cage once again.

A week of punishment.

The war council room of Amadeus was the only thing alive in the palace. He could scent the freshness of the water, the earthy smell of the soil, and the sweet fragrance of the flowers as soon as they entered the room. An indoor water fountain made of white marble was the first thing you'd see among the decorations. The pot where water was flowing out was held by a gigantic skull-faced man wearing only a piece of cloak that disintegrated at its feet. It wasn't supposed to be pretty, it was supposed to be intimidating and scary. It was Midnight's favorite piece inside the room, and he could only see art.

Right in the middle of the room was the circular marbled table that sprouted flowers in the colors of purple and gray. Oversized cushioned chairs for the rulers were placed around them, almost looking like the thrones of each kingdom. Behind those chairs were smaller chairs meant for the elite guards. 

The escorts turned, bent their waists to sketch a respectful bow, and left.

Only when he stopped appreciating the interiors did he start acknowledging the tremendous amount of energy filling up the whole room. Every attention was directed at him and at his group the moment they stepped foot inside. Eyes stared. Whispers started. The Vampire King was here, already speaking with the White Witch Queen. On the other side, the Siren Queen was having a conversation with the Black Witch Queen. He could see the quick movement of their eyes towards him, as though they were hesitating and lacked the courage to approach.