60: The Healer and The Reaper

Day was overwhelmed by the horrifying reality of the situation before him. It was gut-wrenching. It was terrifying. A scene he would rather not witness again as a healer. He didn't want to look or watch. If only he could he would have run away too. Far, far away from here. From the gore and wounds and the uncomfortable screams and cries of the warriors. They kept on coming.

Mabilis ang kanyang mga kamay na binalot ang putol na kamay ng isang mandirigma. Kinailangan niyang putulin ang ito upang hindi kumalat ang lason na natamo nito sa labanan. Umuungol sa sakit ang mandirigma at panay ang galaw nito sa puting telang inilapag nila sa lupa. Day didn't have the time to sympathize with him, he wasn't even certain he was hearing him scream or if the scream was from another injured warrior. One of the healers, who was assigned to be his assistant for tonight's war, had pushed the squirming warrior down onto the ground. A drop of sweat rolled down Day's forehead and he forced the herbal medicine down the warrior's throat without even uttering a single word.

As soon as he felt the warrior's breath calming down, he turned and walked away to attend to another patient. Sinundan kaagad siya ng kanyang assistant sa likuran.

His next patient was a warrior whose stomach had been sliced and opened up, revealing bones and flesh and inner organs. Blood was all over the white cloth under him and if it wasn't for the two healers who were trying to stop the blood and the organs from spilling out, the warrior would have been dead minutes ago. Halos masuka ang kanyang assistant sa likuran sa nakita. This wasn't the most gruesome but the warrior's situation reminded him of Arius.

Parehas sila ng sitwasyon dati. The only difference was that, alam na niya kung ano ang gagawin niya sa ganitong klaseng sugat.

The two healers stepped back as soon as they saw Day. Agaran naman ang pag-utos ni Day sa mga ito---- kung ano ang kakailanganin at kung ano ang mga gagawin nila na dapat. A shout from the back told him there was another gravely injured patient and was needed immediate treatment. He could have sworn he heard himself cursing.

They kept on coming.

And his skill and knowledge were much in demand.

Indeed, he expected such things to happen. He should be getting used to it by now. But he was no more than a mortal kid still, and no matter how many times he told himself his life wasn't supposed to be all sunshine and rainbows, he'd still daydream about those days to come.

But he knew—- Day knew to himself he'd choose this life again. Because he couldn't imagine what would have been if he hadn't met everyone. The Pack. Midnight Zagreus. Sahar. Vlad. Everyone.

They were his family now.

And he hadn't had much fun ever since.

"Render him unconscious for an hour. Pagkatapos, gawin niyo uli ang ginawa ko sakanya. I will assume sinaulo niyo ang proseso" Mabilis na pahayag ni Day sa oras na matapos niyang ipahid sa kakasarado lamang na tiyan ng mandirigma ang gamot na ginawa niya para sa mga ganitong klaseng sugat. "Okay ba?"

Sabay tumango ang dalawang healers sa harapan niya. It was a cue for him to go.

Tumalikod siya at mabilis na naglakad para puntahan ang iba.

"My Lord, magpahinga muna kayo ng saglit. We have a lot of healers who could substitute you for a while" Rinig niyang sabi sakanya ng kanyang assistant.

Umiling si Day. Zagreus had trained him just for this. He had always known he was never meant to be at the front lines, that his fight would always be behind those brave warriors. He didn't want to disappoint his king. "Kindly inform everyone to transfer all treated warriors to one side. Marami pang parating na sugatan at nauubusan na tayo ng espasyo"