11: Sin of Pride

"Hi, sister-in-law"

Erebus Nythe. The Sin of Pride.

From the western side of the lake, almost near my place, emerged the red-haired demon in his royal blue fine clothes. Darker markings decorated the silky dress shirt he was wearing inside the coat and his shoes were in two different shades. Blue and Black. Hair swept back from his forehead, emphasizing more of those inhumane eyes.

Another chuckle left his mouth as he took in the sight of me. I was certain I looked horrified just now— horrified at the idea that he could feed me the emotion he was tied to. I would have dipped my hand into the water. I would have done something so stupid to stroke my pride. Those dull-witted thoughts would have been the reason for my death by now. Kung hindi ko lang naalala ang sinabi ni Midnight saakin bago ako nagsimula, tuluyan ko nang nilangoy ang lawa.

Erebus, this demon. He didn't even balk at the idea of endangering my life.

Pulling myself together, I neutralized my facial expression in front of him. Hindi ko tinago ang pagkuha ko kay Wrath na naka sabit sa hita ko para ihanda ang sarili sa gulo na baka mangyare mamaya maya. Erebus kept his smiling face even at the sight of his brother's dagger in my hand. His smile wasn't pure, it was a smile of a creature that knew violence all too well. A smile that looked threatening it would make any lesser people tremble in fear. Midnight had the same sinister expression.

He took one step toward me and I flipped my dagger in position.

He didn't proceed.

"Kung ang hipag ang hinahanap mo, nandoon siya sa palasyo kasama ang kapatid mo" I said as a way to greet him back.

Like a bored listener, Erebus shamelessly yet elegantly scratched his right ear before roaming his gaze at the surroundings. "Yung anghel? Ano nga pangalan 'non?"

I smirked. The guilty pleasure I felt knowing the princess wasn't that important for a Sin to remember her name.

Sa harapan, mas lalong lumapad ang ngisi ni Erebus. Kinailangan ko pang kumurap ng isang beses para kumpirmahin ang pagsiklap ng kanyang mga mata. They glowed as though they were rubies underwater. I wasn't certain why.

But then—-

"Bad, bad, Sahar" The laugh was louder now and I worried for a moment that the other demons would hear him.

Hindi ko kailangan ng kahati sa demonyong ito. Mahihirapan na ako sakanya lamang. Paano pa kaya kung may mga kaagaw pa akong gusto 'rin siyang makuha para sa premyo?

Matalim ko siyang tinignan. "Sumama kana saakin pabalik sa palasyo"

Mas lalo siyang natawa.

Baliw ba 'to?

"I don't even need to do something, your pride is just... wow" He flexed his fingers, gaze still lingering, "Darling, this is a hunt. You need to hunt me down. Hindi pwedeng sumama ako sayo ng ganon ganon lang. Ano pang saysay ng larong ito kung ganoon?"

I weighed the possibility of capturing him. Suddenly, 9 nights seemed too small for a time frame. "I can bargain with you"

Wicked. Very, very wicked grin. "You're too clever to close a bargain with. I see you've learned a lot from my king"

"Just so you know, I'm in the mood for bloodshed. I've earned a crown for a reason, Pride"

"You do realize I get stronger the more you release the emotion I am tied to, yes?"

Well, that would be a hindrance. Ma pride naman talaga ako.

"Is this your sin's magic?"

Instead of answering, he let out a villainous laugh once again. "It's for you to find out"