18: 9 Nights

The remaining nights of the Demon Festival were dedicated to cleaning up the mess the Soul Eaters had given us. Word traveled around the kingdom and demons flocked their way back into the city. Some wept for their lost ones while most promised revenge. As soon as the city was packed with its townspeople, a crowd gathered at the temple's gates. Midnight had commanded the shadow sentinels not to let anyone teleport their way up here on the palace grounds. Siya mismo ang bumaba para harapin ang mga ito. Ni hindi kami sinama.

His demons weren't rallying, instead, they wanted their questions answered. And Midnight would give them just that.

Ilang oras 'din namin siyang hinintay na makabalik. Sa mga oras 'din na iyon, inutusan ko si Ravi na bumalik sa Ladon. Wala itong sinabi at agad akong sinunod.

Nagawa pa naming bisitahin ang mga kulungan nina Scorch at Eliseo para lamang makasiguradong naroon pa sila at walang ginagawang kakaiba. They both questioned the kingdom's situation, to which I kindly and most generously responded with honesty. For some reason, they looked nothing of relief after hearing my report. Scorch looked the most ruffled by the information as if he cared about the kingdom he chose to betray. Sarap niyang sampalin ng paulit ulit.

On the last night of the Demon Festival, everyone was told to gather at the city's main square for the death rite. One thing I learned about Demons: They resent more than mourn. The fury, the wrath, those were the emotions you could see in their eyes as they watched the bodies burn. No tears were shed. At least publicly. And I wondered if Midnight had something to do with their raging emotions. By the end of the rite, only then did I figure demons didn't need the Sin of Wrath to augment their madness. Demons were demons. Creatures of the darkness. Violence for them didn't need a reason.

Midnight had made an announcement that the banquet for the festival would still be open for those who wanted to attend.

Kaya ngayon, suot suot ko uli ang puting gown ko. "Pass me the tarts" utos ko sa katabi ko na si Arius. Walang angal naman niya akong sinunod. "And some cake"

"Kunin mo na lang kaya itong buong plato tutal ikaw lang naman ata ang nakakaubos"

"Hindi ko na kasalanan kung walang kumakain ng matamis dito kundi ako lang"

"Nakakahiya naman kasi sayo at parang kulang pa"

"Buti nahiya kayo"

Napailing na lamang si Arius, ang sulok ng labi ay nakaangat. Inabot niya saakin ang dalawang plato ng cake at tarts na agad ko naman tinanggap.

Bago ko kainin ang mga ito ay nag magandang loob ako at inofferan ko ng isa si Arius. Natawa siya sa ginawa ko ngunit hindi ito tinanggihan. Ngumiti ako. Sunod kong inofferan ng tarts ay itong si Tartarus na panay 'rin ang kain sa kinuha niyang baboy. Just to make it clear, everyone in the Pack was still eating to their fullest. None wasn't finished yet. Kanina pa kami kumakain, actually. From the moment the ball started until now. Masyado kaming nagutom sa labanan.

Our high table was filled with dishes that watered our mouths the second they came. There was a lot of meat. A lot. Others were drenched in sauces that smelt sweet, spicy, salty, and savory. While the rest were simply coated in the essence of salt and lemon. Plates of seafood were present too. Fishes with cuts of red tomatoes. A whole piece of shark. Steamed crabs, shrimps, and lobsters. And of course, the desserts.

But that wasn't all. Blood and fresh innards were also served. And praise the Triple Goddess for it.

There was no room for any conversations. We dove into our plates as though the food was the only good thing that ever happened to us for a while. Only Tatiana was baffled by the silence we injected into our circle from eating too much. Wala 'rin namang pumansin sakanya sa gutom naming lahat. Midnight had only entertained her at the start of the ball, didn't even have the appetite to eat, and went on his way. Hindi ko alam kung nasaan siya ngayon pero gusto ko munang kumain.