52: Emperor's Representative

Clad in a closed-button long white jacket covered with dark ornate designs, the so-called King of Soul Eaters sat unbothered on the oversized chair emitting rather a strange yet strong aura. Curious eyes lingered over him and I was one of them. I couldn't take my eyes off him and I didn't care if he noticed. He was tall but not as tall as Midnight, and had lean muscles, his skin a reddish-brown, his curtain hair—- including his eyebrows and eyelashes—- was white as snow. His eyes a bright blue that looked like the sky in its most breathtaking colors during the day.

This was no Emperor. This was no Sage. This was no one I knew or heard about. He, without any sense of alert, had leaned back onto the chair as if he wasn't the center of attraction right now. I cast a glance to Midnight and waited to hear any of his opinions but instead, he placed a careful hand on the small of my back and urged me to walk forward.

"Come now" He simply said, no hint of any emotion on his face. "Umupo na tayo"

I knew better than to ask in a room full of enemies, and so I gave Zarax a curt nod to dismiss our earlier conversation. She gave me the same type of nod in return and silently made her way to her own spot. Pandora and the other witches positioned themselves behind their queen's chair.

Hindi ko naman inutos pero hinatid pa ako ni Midnight sa upuan ko bago ito pumunta sa pwesto niya. Dahilan kung bakit napunta nanaman saamin ang atensyon ng iba. I kept my facial expression firm. Midnight's seat was placed opposite to mine. Nasa harapan ko siya. On my left was King Druse, and on my right was Cayden. Mukhang hindi talaga kami pinagtabi ng Emperor. Mula sa likuran ay narinig ko ang mahinang tawa ni Arius at ang mapilyong sipol ni Radu dahil sa ginawa ni Midnight. Kagaya ko ay naka pwesto na 'rin sila sakanilang mga posisyon. Kawawa nga sila at wala silang upuan. Nakatayo lang sila hanggang sa matapos ang pagpupulong na ito. Maaawa na sana ako kung hindi lang sila mga tarantado.

Nang lahat ng mga pinuno ay nakapwesto na sakanilang mga upuan ay walang nag lakas loob na magsalita ng una. It wasn't because we were scared or frightened to speak first. No. Fear had nothing to do with our silence. It was our ego. Our pride. No one wanted to say the first word simply because we were busy sizing each other up with our gazes, and speaking first meant we were humbled enough to lower our pride for each other. Stupid and foolish and even pathetic, but a ruler's ego and pride were the last things rulers wouldn't want to swallow down in a competition of power and superiority.

Eh kung kami kami lang 'din naman nina Midnight, Cayden, at Zarax ang nag mi-meeting ngayon kanina pa siguro kami nagsimula. Everything about this Gathering was too time consuming. Mismong entry palang ng bawat pinuno ay umaabot na ng ilang minuto.

Already feeling impatient, I tapped my fingers on the armrests, focusing on not making a sound out of it. Hinayaan kong gumapang si Diablo sa inuupuan kong upuan, kasi mukhang pati siya ay naiinip na.

I didn't want to glance at the other rulers so I decided to direct my full attention to Midnight, just to find out he was already looking at me too.

I unconsciously made a face.

I averted my eyes from him, realizing it would be too obvious and... too embarrassing to do so.

Diablo's hiss caught my attention. Pagtingin ko sakanya ay gumagapang na ito sa kanan kong kamay. Umikot-ikot ito sa haba ng aking braso hanggang sa lumingon ang ulo nito sa kabila. Sinundan ko ito ng tingin at saktong bumukas ang mga pintuan sa silid sabay pasok ng isa nanamang anyo na hindi ko kilala o namumukhaan man lang.

Another reason for the rulers to be wary once again.

My back straightened and I knew for some reason I wasn't the only one who had done the action unconsciously.