27:The Undoing

The holy matrimony ceremony was canceled. That was King Inias's final decision, but since both parties had officially signed the contract, making a Royal Seal, King Inias wasn't allowed to withdraw and was still expected to fulfill his end of the bargain or consequences only the two kings knew about would follow.

Pinaglaruan ko ang isang kutsilyo sa aking mga daliri habang nakatanaw sa isa sa mga hardin ng palasyo na ito. Kaninang umaga pa akong nakaupo rito sa bench na gawa sa puting bato. Dito na 'din ako kumain ng umagahan. Mamaya na ang alis namin at tatapusin lang ni Midnight ang kailangan niyang asikasuhin. He and the King of Angels must be in the middle of conversing right now, discussing about important stuff. Or formulating a plan together. The Pack was doing their own things which I didn't want to get involved with for the meantime.

Earlier at breakfast, they tried to make the atmosphere as less awkward as they could. I wasn't really in the mood to tell lies and pretend everything was fine when we all knew it wasn't.

I puffed out a breath and listened to the birds chirping.

My mind was a ball of useless thoughts that kept getting bigger and bigger and bigger each time passed.

Kagabi pa ako nag-iisip. Kagabi ko pa iniitindi ang sinabi saakin ni Midnight.

He could undo the marriage?

Break it? Snap it? He'd do that?

"Queen Sahar,"

I stopped flipping my dagger between my fingers. The wind blew south. Without turning to see who called me, I flicked the dagger back into its sheath and opened my mouth, "Princess Tatiana"

Out of the corner of my eye, I glimpsed her crossing the remaining space between us in that white dress of hers. Bright white wings tucked behind. Her golden hair was braided around the top of her head like a crown. Sun earrings hung from her ears. She didn't look sad nor offended about yesterday's scene. Right now, even without the need to fully face her, I could tell she looked happier... and calmer. As though the burden she was carrying around had finally lifted up. 

"Is Ramuel's garden to your liking?" She didn't take the sit beside me. Nakatayo lang siya sa tabi ko. "Not too much color, no? Puros puti lang"

I waved a hand in the air to indicate it didn't matter. "It's nice" there was not much optimism in my voice so I wasn't sure I have convinced her. "How many gardens?"

"Oh, we have at least 12. One is a secret garden only my father has access to" the giggling came after. Such honey-glazed voice. Sweet like the flowers growing in the garden before me.

For her to conspire with Midnight. She let him use her too.

I pitied her. Her kindness would be the end of her. 

"You're here to talk about gardens?" I kept my eyes in front. Starting to be impatient. "I don't think so. Go on. Sabihin mo na lang kung ano ang gusto mong sabihin para matapos na 'to"

This was where the line was drawn. Tatiana cleared her throat as if to caution herself of her next chosen words. She didn't speak for another minute and I began to wonder if she was still there. If I wasn't feeling her presence beside me, I would have thought she'd left. It looked to me like she was contemplating.

Finally, I heard her sigh. A signal, at least that she'd start speaking. "Father is still mad about yesterday"

I hummed for a response. It wasn't new news anymore. It was expected. 

I sensed she faced me. "Naalala mo ba kung ano ang sinabi ko sayo sa Severus, Your Majesty?"

"Madami kang sinabi" My hand unconsciously yearned for my dagger's comfort. It wasn't really a good idea to hold a dagger while speaking to the princess but I cared more about my comfort. "Don't mind me. I won't hurt you" I told her with a neutral voice when the blade was out and in my hand.