28: Starts

Midnight needed to breathe. His hand found support from the dark walls of the corridor and he breathed. He took in as much air as possible. Where none of the Pack was there to see him, that was the only time he allowed himself to collapse. His head was aching. Bad. He shut his eyes and started counting. Deep, long breaths were executed.

There was no denying the dull pain he was currently experiencing. It did not only affect his head, his body was aching in every part. He coughed. He smacked his chest, already annoyed. And he coughed again. He reached for the low hum of his power. Tried to at least. But there was none. He clicked his tongue and dropped his head onto the wall behind him, still in the process of evening out his breathing.

"Tumayo ka dyan"

Hindi na kailangan imulat ni Midnight ang kanyang mga mata para makita ang masungit na pagmumukha ni Killian. Ramdam niya ang inis at galit sa boses ng anghel ngunit mas pinili na lamang niyang tumahimik.

"Tignan mo sarili mo ngayon" He had already expected Killian's sermons. It didn't help his headache. "You always do whatever you want. Sinabi ko na sayo na kausapin mo si Sahar tungkol dito"

"I did" he defended himself. Malalim siyang bumuntong hininga uli, hirap na hirap huminga sabay sapo sakanyang mga mata. "Wala akong balak pakinggan ang sermon mo ngayon. Kung pupwede lang, umalis ka na"

"And leave you here? You're pathetic"

There was nothing to say but silently agree with the angel on the second phrase.

"Alam mo na ngang maapektuhan ang katawan mo, hindi ko maitindihan kung bakit kailangan mo paring gawin iyon. Sahar would have understand. Hanggang sa matapos lang naman ang digmaan na ito"

"Are your ears for decorations only? I told you to leave"

He heard the angel scoff. "How do you intend to fix this, huh?"

"Hindi ko alam kung bakit hanggang ngayon tinatanong mo pa rin 'yan"

"I'm asking you how will you fix this"

"I don't fix things, Killian" the frustration came out. "I ruin things. I destroy"

It should have been the easiest thing to understand. He was used to break the toughest, wreck people, do harm to others, that when he no longer wanted to, he had unconsciously done it to the very person he promised to protect for the rest of his life. He had hated himself then, he loathed himself now.

He had done terrible things in his life that made him guilty but none of them compared to this.

"Stand up"

"I will"

"Right now"

Para tumahimik na ang kaibigan, pinilit ni Midnight na tumayo. Saktong nilapitan siya nito. Matigas ang tingin sakanya.

Walang emosyon naman niyang binalik ang tingin ng kaibigan. "I'll pluck your eyes out" His voice dropped, "Look at me like that again, I'll pluck your eyes out"

Killian smacked Midnight's chest, darting his eyes somewhere else. After a few seconds of silence, the angel took in a heavy breath. "How long?"

"Not sure. Depends"

"Tatawagin ko si Day para gamutin ka"

Tumango si Midnight.

Killian smacked his chest again. "You did not tell her that the undoing will cost you your strength, energy, and magic, did you?"