47: Ravens and Letters

Midnight gradually and tauntingly pulled back his blood arrow from an enemy's chest and watched as the enemy slowly drifted away from its life. The enemy had a head of a wolf with two sharp-edged canines as big as his arms and a body of a mortal man that stood at least twice his height. The soul eater wasn't easy to kill but it wasn't hard either. Its arrogant and proud attitude had made it too confident causing its own death. It was never too good to be so confident. Not to the point of ignoring your opponent's strength.

His blood arrow dissolved in the air. The smell of metallic blood touched the tip of his tongue and brushed against his nose but the filthy sight of death did not stop him from taking the dead enemy back to the camp.

They were running out of supplies. A wolf's head would be utilized for weaponry while the body would be used for food. Though, there were only certain parts to take and eat. A soul eater's blood wasn't really the best thing to digest. He had expected worse things would happen as they approached the end, and he had prepared more than what was needed, but food was harder to ration after every battle they faced. In order to keep themselves awake and ready to fight, food was necessary. Hindi niya pwedeng ipagdamot sakanyang mga mandirigma ang pagkain. It was simply the source of their power. Less food, less energy. It was simple logic he'd rather not overlook.

It was just earlier in the morning when they saw the camp of their enemies, although small they were still their opponents. Midnight had seen the opportunity to raid and fortunately, the soul eaters have left some of their possessions and supplies in their camp. Tartarus would be in charge of the inspection for later. After the cleanup.

He felt Killian landed from the sky a foot behind him. Hindi niya ito nilingon at hinintay lamang ang sasabihin ng anghel sakanya. "You should drop that. The wagons are coming to collect the bodies"

Automatiko niyang binitawan ang ulo ng pinatay niya. Tinignan niya ang sariling mga kamay, nandidiri sa kadumihan ng mga ito. Gustong gusto na niyang maligo at nalalagkitan na siya sa katawan niya. "Burn the useless ones" he reminded the angel. "Maliligo lang ako. Ikaw na muna ang bahala dito"

They were two weeks away from their goal if circumstances would be kind to them. But the nearer the end, the rougher the road had become for them. Midnight lost more of his demons and it infuriated him to know it would only get worse day by day. He hadn't received any letters from Kaimana and Radu—- Sahar—- he hadn't heard from his wife.

His messenger had teleported back and informed him the message had been delivered successfully to the recipient, so it wondered him why Sahar was taking too long to give him a reply. Then he figured dragons couldn't teleport, and so he was stuck to be patient about it. He should have ordered his messenger to wait until the Queen had made her response before coming back.

After taking a quick bath, saktong tapos na 'rin linisin ng kanyang mga mandirigma ang kalat na ginawa nila sa kampo ng mga kalaban. Now, a part of the camp was busy with supplying while the other part was busy attending to the injured ones. Sumulpot kaagad sa likod niya si Vlad para bigyan siya ng balita at siyang punta naman niya sa tent kung nasaan si Day ngayon.

The kid was busy mixing liquids when he entered, but once his presence was known, Day stopped what he was doing and turned to greet him. "Your Majesty"

Across from the kid's table was the silent Dhar. Tumayo ito kaagad sabay nag bow para batiin siya ng maayos. Midnight had only placed a palm midair and gestured him to sit back down.

"How's the treatment?" Tanong niya sa bata.

Bumalik si Day sakanyang tinatrabaho. "I'm almost done with these. His Majesty's blood is the only ingredient missing. Then we're finished" Malumanay siyang ngumiti sa direksyon ni Dhar. "Makakapagsalita ka na ulit"

Kitang kita niya kung paano lumiwanag sa pag-asa ang nag-iisang mata ni Dhar. The operation to heal the Reaper's scar and tongue had been his plan ever since he decided to invite Dhar to his Pack. It was only time they lack. Hindi niya pwede basta basta isingit ito. Ngayon na nakakita siya ng oras para gawin ito ay inutusan niya kaagad si Day para gamutin ang Reaper. The kid was able to bring back Sahar's arm. Midnight trusted his ability enough to heal Dhar.

Lumapit siya sa bata sabay labas ng kanyang kutsilyo. Sinugatan niya ang sariling palad at agad naman kumuha ng maliit na tube ang bata para roon niya ipatulo ang kanyang dugo. The kid thanked him and Midnight left without saying another word.

——

"Can't sleep?"

Binaba ni Midnight ang palaso sabay lingon sa nagsalita. He saw Killian perched on a bolder twice as big as him. The angel's wings were tucked behind him, few of its feathers were falling, creating a dramatic entrance he had no intention of noticing in the first place. Binalik ni Midnight ang atensyon sa harapan, kung saan ay naroon ang target board niya sabay taas ng kanyang palaso at pana sa ere para tumira.

Midnight had already an idea why Killian was here.

"I know it's none of my business, and I've been telling you this since god knows when, but you should be sleeping right now habang payapa at tahimik pa ang gabi" Narinig niyang sabi ng anghel sa likuran. "Get some rest, Zagreus. You'll need it the most"

The arrow hissed in the air as it hit the target in the middle. Kumuha uli si Midnight ng panibagong pana na nakalatag sakanyang paanan sabay tira uli. "May dumating na ba na sulat galing kina Kaimana?"

He heard the angel heave a deep sigh before answering. He wasn't certain if it was because of him, changing the topic, or it was because of the anxiety Kaimana and Radu were giving them. "Unfortunately, no. Kay Sahar 'rin. Wala pang sulat galing sakanya"

"Should I send someone to check in on her?"

"Pwede, pero satingin ko ay masyado pang maaga para sa ganyan. Let Sahar do her work. She wouldn't want you to check in on her every so often. Maiinis lang 'yon sayo. Let's wait for her messenger to arrive, instead"

A muscle in Midnight's jaw ticced unconsciously. Binaba niya ang palaso at lumapit sa mga lalagyanan ng mga ito para kumuha ng isa. Walang alinlangan niyang binato ang bago niyang kinuha sa direksyon ng anghel.

Killian effortlessly caught the bow and gave Midnight a curious look.

"Join me" The Demon King said.

——

Midnight woke up the next morning with only 2 hours of sleep and a letter in his hand. The letter was sent by a raven with a glass collar around its neck. Ravens as messengers--- only one person was allowed to use ravens to transmit messages around the empire.

The Emperor.

Tiniklop ni Midnight ang sulat pagkatapos niya itong basahin. Walang emosyon niyang binigyan ng tingin ang natitirang Pack members. As soon as he recieved the letter, he didn't even bother reading it first and instead summoned his court in his tent at once.

Tahimik siyang pinagmasdan ng kanyang mga miyembro sa Pack, hinihintay ang sasabihin niya.

"About time," He muttered to himself but gave everyone the access to distinctly hear him. "The Emperor has summoned the rulers of the eight kingdoms for the Gathering"

And then he grinned.

His Pack stiffened in front of him.

"Prepare yourselves. This meeting will determine our fate"

----