40: Through the Night

Units were instantly deployed at strategic locations where it would be easier for us to see the enemies through the dark without the risk of displaying our positions. Archers were stationed specifically on the top of the city gates, kung saan nandito 'rin ako, si Arius, Killian, at Kaimana. Below, Midnight, Tartarus, and Radu were leading the foot soldiers. The rest of the Pack— Dhar, Vlad, and Day were assigned inside to keep the internal operation in check.

The night breeze was not to be neglected. The darkness was colder than we have expected, biting into our skins we needed to wear heavy cloaks with thick furs. I wasn't used to this type of clothing, especially wearing it on a battlefield. It had too much weight on it, a burden on my shoulders and arms. I'd rather wear heels as high as my pride than clad myself with clothes that weighed half of me.

But I didn't have a choice if I didn't want to freeze to death here. Radu, on the other hand, parang hindi naaapektuhan ng lamig. Ice user nga naman siya. Bakit siya maaapektuhan sa sariling elemento ng kapangyarihan.

Pasimple kong pinasok ang dalawang kamay ko sa loob ng aking mga bulsa. Nagsisimula na itong lumamig. Ang masaklap pa nito ay hindi ako sanay makipaglaban sa lamig. As sublty as I could, I used my light to heat both of my hands inside my pockets. Iyong sakto lang para hindi mapansin na ginagamit ko ang ilaw ko. At least my hands would be kept warm.

Lights and fire lamps were shut off in order for us to camouflage in the dark but the glass made it impossible for us to do so. The moonlight gave the city a glowing effect, dull enough to be ignored, though, if someone wanted to find the city, it wouldn't be unattainable either. Madali lang mapansin ang syudad na ito kung tutuusin.

We have seen movements meters away from the city like those of hungry wolves assessing their targets. Even with our keen sights, it was hard for us to calculate how many--- how big the army was. Despite the pressure of the darkness and the lack of visual presentation of what lies ahead, Midnight wasn't giving any commands for us to execute.

So no one was moving.

It was not certain what Midnight wants to happen but it looked like he was waiting for the enemies to do the first move.

As if on cue, through the dark, the enemies have marked their locations. A line of arrow tips ignited in fire was nocked and raised in midair.

My shoulders squared at the meaning it held.

They were really going to attack without considering their people locked inside. Tumingin ako sa ibaba at hinintay ang magiging reaksyon ni Midnight dito. This time, he didn't let Vlad use his magic on us. Vlad needed to rest his energy. The butler was already holding the soul eaters in one place and Midnight wanted him to focus his barrier on this single task in the meantime. Ibig sabihin, we were going to protect ourselves traditionally with metal shields.

Unless Midnight had other plans for it. Kung saan ay naniniwala akong mayroon talaga.

The fire arrows were released and we were doing nothing—- Midnight's mouth moved and I figured the command wasn't meant for the whole army but for Radu alone.

Ice solidified above us like roofs, shielding us from the fire arrows that aggressively came down from the skies. Once the arrows and the ice touched, a stingy kind of noise occurred. Warriors had only allowed themselves to look once at the occurrence above, as though it was taboo for them to react in the middle of a life-and-death battle. Below, I saw Midnight turn to face Tartarus.

Next thing I knew, far beyond in front, the Amadeus's forces started screaming and shouting as explosions came in like heavy waves. The ground shook as Tartarus continued using his magic.