38: March to the North

Kaza City was the first and the nearest city from the borders. From where the Pack and the whole army of demons halted at the top of a hill, overlooking the radiant city of Kaza, it didn't surprise me anymore when we sighted what the Emperor have prepared for us. It seemed like two days was enough for the Emperor to prepare themselves. However, circumstances might have pushed them. Somehow or someway, the Emperor had located our location, which was a move we all calculated beforehand.

A wide range of Amadeus forces had flooded the outside gates of Kaza City as though in anticipation of our arrival. A wall of warriors wearing the Amadeus colors, carrying the banners of their kingdom. They had a section where all of their warriors were mounted on warhorses, another area wherein the warriors had nothing underneath them and were standing stiffly on the ground. These were the ones who could fly and fight in the air. We had the exact same warriors for that.

Commanding the Emperor's army for today was General Franko, who was in fact the head of Kaza City's security and forces. Dark hair, bearded guy, blue eyes, pierced ears, thick muscles, grumpy facial expression. He emitted a usual tension around him a general would normally have. Intimidating. Intense. Bold. Behind him, the army of Amadeus wore stoic expressions on their faces. Vigilant of the things that surrounded them. Attention as sharp as their blades.

The Pack gathered at the frontlines didn't seem to radiate nervousness, even Day and Dhar didn't look as though they were about to throw up. Kahit hindi sila sasabak sa laban ngayon, hindi mo ramdam na kinakabahan sila. I was certain it was because of our Demon King's presence. Everything seemed to be safer if he was with us.

Habang nakasakay kaming lahat saaming mga kabayo, tanging si Killian lamang ang nakalutang sa ere. Arius hadn't turn into a dragon yet. I hadn't turned into one too. Sa likod namin, roon mo makikita ang hukbo ng mandirigma ng Severus.

Black Jack beneath me let out a huff of air, and I felt the quick shift of his bones and muscles. Beside me, Midnight locked his dead eyes at the army in front.

"They didn't evacuate their people" His voice was flat. No indication of any emotion.

Now that Midnight pointed it out, ngayon ko lang 'din napansin.

The walls of the City were built in glass. Clear, transparent glass. And the structures of buildings and houses inside were made with the same materials. In other words, Kaza City was a city of glass. Hindi ako sigurado kung gaano katibay ang mga ito, but I hoped the city's beauty was as formidable. Mula dito sa pwesto namin, you could see the little movements going on inside the city.

Hindi sila pinagsabihan.

Was it because they didn't want the people to panic?

No. I didn't think so.

"They are aware we wouldn't harm their civilians" Midnight exclaimed, a hint of grin that would usually make the lesser warriors run away touched the corner of his lips. "I guess they weren't properly orientated about me"

I heaved a deep sigh. We have talked about this already. "Midnight" I warned him.

He turned to me this time, "My love, do not worry. You have my word. Nagbibiro lang ako" binalik niya ang tingin sa harapan pagkatapos. "We will proceed as planned"

My grip on the reins tightened. Ngayon lang talaga sumink-in saakin na nandito na kami ngayon, lalaban. This war, this was my first. Compared to the older members of the Pack and Midnight himself, they had fought in countless wars and had made it out alive. They knew what they were doing. I wasn't showing it but everything— every single thing that had happened and would still happen was nerve-wracking.