25: Holy Matrimony

The day of the wedding came.

Patay ang aking mga mata ng tignan ko ang sarili sa harapan ng salamin. Tapos na akong mag ayos pero hindi ko pa ramdam na lumabas o makihalubiho. The dress I decided to wear was a short dress in the shade of black. Bundles of chiffon skirts gathered around my thighs, short enough that if I'd bend in a wrong way, the laced undergarment I wore underneath would show. Pieces of jewelry shining in different colors (mostly rubies) and shapes were embedded into the bodice of the dress, giving it a more regal impact. It had thin straps draping loosely around my arms, and a black ribbon in the middle of the neckline.

Connected with garter straps, I wore black stockings that reached my thighs and partnered them with thick heels that were also bedazzled with gemstones. Hindi ko na tinali ang aking mahabang buhok at nilagyan na lamang ito ng mga jeweled clips sa gilid.

Yesterday's breakfast, kung saan inaya kami ni King Inias na sumabay sakanila, napag usapan namin ang dapat suotin para sa okasyon na ito. Both sides decided we were going to wear the color that represented the kingdoms of the groom and bride. They didn't force us to wear white and kindly agreed to color black despite the meaning it held inside a church. As long as no traditions were being mocked by the other side, it wouldn't be a harm to respect each other's until then.

Sa umagahan na iyon, walang Midnight at walang Tatiana.

Kasi nga daw, bawal nila makita ang isa't isa bago ang araw ng kasal.

Buong araw ko 'din iniwasan si Midnight kahapon. He was the one who provided me this dress and I hesitated wearing it. But it looked too pretty for me to refuse. I didn't try to make eye contact nor talked more than a sentence. Kahit pa'y pinadalhan niya ako ng kape ngayon, at kahit pa'y siya ang nagbigay ng damit ko ngayon. Hindi 'rin naman siya nangulit o namilit. Hinayaan niya lang ako.

Naiinis ako.

Tinignan ko uli ang sarili sa salamin bago ako umupo sa pang isahang upuan dito sa kwarto ko sabay lingon sa kapeng ginawa ni Midnight para saakin. Hanggang ngayon, hindi ko parin ito naiinom.

Ugh.

How could I loathe someone so much to the point of pain? I took a deep breath and reached for the cup. With a heavy chest, I took a sip of the already cold liquid. The sweet, creamy flavor of the coffee burst in my mouth and I couldn't help but let out a relaxed moan behind my throat.

Nakakainis.

Pwede bang dito na lang ako? Do I really need to be there?

Papanoorin lang naman ang kasal. Was I really necessary? I don't think so.

Nakakainis.

Naiinis ako.

Naiirita ako.

Naiiyak ako.

I was stupid to think there was this little chance for Midnight to withdraw.

Why did I think I was his priority? That he'd put me first over everything? Why did I believe that the love he had for me was enough?

Stupid, stupid Sahar.

The very second I gulped down the last bit of coffee from the mug, the Pack had arrived outside my chambers waiting for me to join them. As I stood up, I reminded myself to wear the mask of the Sahar I knew before this. Before everything. Before Midnight. Before the Pack. Before the coven. Before Cayden. Before Sage.

The black witch in trials.

The witch who had known nothing but pure wickedness.

I needed her now.