46: Francis of House Miraghan

Francis didn't sit.

Disobedient as always.

I dropped my hold on my door's lock without averting my eyes from him. For someone who opted to take the crown away from me, he looked devastatingly exhausted. And dirty. And he smells. Hindi ko tuloy alam kung maaawa ba ako sakanya o matatawa. I tried offering him the seat again by gesturing to him, yet he only threw a gaze so dark and menacing in my direction, refusing to follow me. "Buti na lang at ikaw ang pumunta saakin. Ayoko pa naman inuubos ang pasensya ko"

He let out a mocking scoff. "Kaya hindi bagay sayo ang maging reyna. You give too many chances"

I hummed. Contemplating whether to change my clothes and leave him here or to stay and endure the heavy weight of it for a while. "It will be complicated if your father discovered I killed you"

"It will be wise for you not to talk about my father in front of me so freely. I have just figured I am more sensitive and temperamental whenever his name is brought up" It only took one sentence from me and his bloodlust resurfaced in an instant.

How venomous this prince was. Pinagtaasan ko siya ng kilay kahit hindi niya ito makikita dahil sa suot suot kong korona. "Do you even know where your father is right now?"

Tumalim ang tingin niya saakin.

Napatango tango ako. Of course, wala siyang alam. Ang alam niya lamang ay nasa kulungan parin ang kanyang tatay.

"Let me summarize your whole... whatever you call this thing" I said and made him angrier, "Gusto mong kunin ang korona saakin at kalabanin ang hari ng mga demonyo pagkatapos"

Mas lalong sumama ang tingin niya saakin dahilan kung bakit ako napatawa wala sa oras.

Francis was rather readable. Very readable. His revenge and wrath towards me and everyone I deemed my comrade were written all over his precious face. It was a shame to witness his poor actions considering the age gap between us. He should have had more experience than I did. Wiser than I was.

But royalty and luxury seemed to make him less... capable. Eliseo had been a fool. His children grew the same, sadly. And here I was, giving them little chances to redeem themselves.

For they have only loved and were played by the wrong person.

"I have trusted you and you betrayed me" I told him.

One corner of his lips twitched. "Sino ba naman kasi ang nagsabi sayo na pagkatiwalaan mo ako? You should have kept me and my brothers behind bars"

"But I didn't, did I?"

"And that was your mistake"

"No, I made none," I corrected, "It is only you who made a mistake for choosing to betray your queen." I tapped the crown I was wearing. "You want this? Go and demand a duel. Right now"

Francis regarded me as though he was weighing his chances. "Sorry to disappoint you but the crown will be my last resort. I am here to make a bargain"

Bargain.

The word pricked up my ears. "Nakikinig ako"

Dumiretso ako sa pinakamalapit na upuan at umupo 'roon. If we were going to negotiate, I'd most likely want to sit down and discuss this as calmly as possible. Tinanggal ko ang korona at pinatong ito sa lamesa katabi ng aking upuan.

Francis watched me cautiously before he began speaking again, "New hair color?"

I faked a smile. "Madali akong magsawa. Bagay ba?"

Tumaas isang kilay niya sa naging tanong ko. He dismissed my question by changing the topic. "Alam mo na siguro kung ano ang gusto kong mangyare"

"Oh" I leaned onto the chair, "You killed two from my court" I reminded him. "And I'm going to guess you want your father out of prison in exchange for your loyalty. Hindi naman ata makatarungan ang hinihingi mo pagkatapos mong patayin ang dalawa sa korte ko"