Chapter 3

Y/n's POV
Memphis, TN

March 30, 2016

"So when you gon start workin at the shop, Young?"

Ryan asked using his nickname for me as we rode through the city in his all-black Escalade.

"Nah, bruh. It's not yo job to just hand me no shit. I'm just gon keep lookin until sumn or nun come up." He shook his head at my stubbornness.

"Well you gon need to do sumn. I ain't tryna get on yo ass about it but I'm just tryna help ya since y'all did the same for me." Even though I appreciated my family's support, I didn't like having handouts. Mainly because I had the ability to support myself. On top of that, people liked to use that shit against you and I didn't want to have that thrown in my face.

"Like I said, I got it, bruh. I just need to keep lookin, but if nun come up, imma reach out." He only nodded before dapping me up. We then went to Waffle House to get some breakfast.

Shit, might see a fight for my entertainment.

Once we got parked, we walked in and got seated at a booth in front of the cooks before looking over the menu.

"You know Shanda asked bout us?" I sat silently while putting a straw in my water as he mentioned our biological mother.

"Fuck you mean she asked? How you know?"

"Grandmama told me. She been tryna tell you but you been MIA or not tryna hear the shit." Internally, I felt guilty for doing that. Not for ignoring Shanda but for shutting out our grandma and misdirecting my feelings.

"I ain't mean to shut her out so imma apologize for that. But Shanda, I ain't got nun to say hea." Before he could continue with this conversation, the waitress came over to place our orders.

"Welcome to Waffle House. What you want today?" We both ordered the All-Star Breakfast before she went over to submit the orders and get it started.

"Y/n, I understand you, I swea' I do. You already know what we done been through wit that lady. I'm just lettin yuh know that's what grandmama told me. I just think that there needs to be a time to just lay out everything you feel and move forward." I breathed heavily through my nose as I just didn't want to hear anything else about that lady. "Shit, at least do it for grandmama."

I shook my head before looking out the window. If I could use one word to describe the emotions I have for this woman, it would probably be hatred at this point. The things that she has done to us isn't something a parent should do to their child. For some people to have the opportunity to have children, they can choose to tarnish it more than others who aren't blessed to have them.

"I ain't gon promise nun but I'm gon think about it." He blew out a breath of relief which led to me rolling my eyes. "Bitch, I said think on it. That don't mean I'm gon do the shit."