Chapter 42, Part 1

Y/n's POV
Unknown Location
Present

"We gotta be quiet, bruh." I nodded as Ryan and I slowly approached this dark, empty location that was once a plaza. I used the information Ryan provided and decided to use the phone to text the alleged "sidekick".

As I did so, Ryan continued to follow the figure as they walked from the opposite end of the "meeting location". My text sent through and we quickly heard the sound of a text notification from another phone. Not long after, the figure was face to face with us and quickly sprinted away. We cursed before following the person.

"Aye, bring yo ass back hea!" I quickly ran behind the mystery figure who wore a black hoodie to mask their face. I then told Ryan to cut across the other way. He did as told before quickly disappearing.

I leaped over some tables the person knocked over before we were all blocked by a wall. The person tried to get pass me before I pushed him back. Not long after, the person quickly punched me in my face. Noticing the force from the collision, I returned the favor before delivering blow after blow.

Eventually, I removed the mask and my face dropped realizing who it was. It was unbelivable that this person was under my nose this entire time. "You fuckin bitch."

"Hey, get away from him." I looked over as she came over trying to "de-escalate" the situation. My eye twitched and I snapped my neck once the dots connected together.

The shooting. The ambush at the awards show.

Every-fucking-thing made sense!

I breathed heavily through my nose as my anger raised to the roof from the sight I was seeing.

"I knew yo muhfuckin ass was a snake but you?" He only stood there guilty and wiping his nose after seeing I found out everything surrounding the shit-show that has occurred for months.

"I'm sorry, Y/n, I had to do it." I chuckled darkly as I stared at the individual who I once called a dear friend.

Not long before I could counter, I heard the sound of the safety of a gun going off before coming face to face with the barrel. I quickly got into defense mode before this scene got more serious.

"You just had to get in the way. Guess Rob would have to live on without you."

Days Prior
En Route to Paynes Bay

"Nigga, calm the fuck down. You actin like you gon die when you step in that house." I sucked my teeth out of frustration and uncertainty.

"Shit, I might."

Silence took over the call before he spoke up again. "Welp. You know I like buryin muhfuckas."

"Fuck you, mane."

It's been a few days since I left Paynes Bay. Two days consisted of being with Ryan and the others pertain to my obligations to my investment property in Memphis. It allowed for me to get my mind off of things for a moment mainly to ensure that the project was rehabbed before current and newer tenants were able to return.

Sadly, my absence has thickened the awkwardness between Robyn and I. Though I didn't agree with her choice with checking on the well-being of her "friend" Vaseline, I should've stayed and allowed her to speak her peace just as much as mine.

As I continued to ponder in my thoughts, the car stopped abruptly in front of the place that set the event of a turning point. I collected my bags and thanked the driver before walking out of the car onto the steps.

I walked to the door and buzzed to gain entrance. As the intercom came on, a voice came through clearly.

"Wah gwan?" I rolled my eyes immediately realizing it was Melissa.