Chapter 72: After Battle

We were running back to Italy after the battle, my mind racing between the battle that just happened and my boys back at home. I haven't been able to talk to them for more than a few minutes for the several days I was spying. I miss them greatly and hated having to leave them, but new in the long run my actions were for their continued safety.

As my mind was occupied, I suddenly felt my shoulders get grabbed firmly and my body get dragged away from the group. Before I reacted, a scent hit my nose, and I allowed my kidnapper to take me away.

"Fridr." I hear my husband breath out desperately after he dragged us away from the others. We were deep in a forest, the only source of life was the slim moon in the sky. "I'm so happy to have you back in my arms again." He says as he holds me tightly.

I grip him back just as hard, the realization of how I felt being away from him hitting me like a tidal wave. The short moment of him holding me on the battlefield wasn't enough, I needed this moment in private with him, to let myself breakdown a little in his arms. "Oh, kjekken. I missed you so much." I breath out against his broad chest, finally letting go of the strength I had put on to face the battle. "I tried so hard not to think about you or the boys while I was gone, because each time I did, all I wanted to do was turn around and come back to you." I whimper out to him, a sob forming at finally having him in my arms.

"It's ok, you're safe. I'm safe. The boys are safe back home. You did it." He says while taking my hair out its braid so he can stroke it.

"We did it." I correct him softly. "I heard you talking to Jay, you had quite the impact on the battle." I say with pride, beaming at my husband.

"I had to. He is my brother." He admits quietly.

"About that." I start to say skeptically, pulling away to stare at him after a moment of being safe in his arms. "Why am I just finding out on a battlefield that you had a brother?" I ask judgingly, a playful smirk on my face to show I'm not actually mad, just confused.

"I'm ashamed to admit, I did not remember him." He sheepishly says with a grimace, and my eyes soften at him. "When I first heard his name, a vague thought of familiarity crossed my mind, but it wasn't until I saw him again that I remembered. I could not believe I forgot about him, but much of my human life is lost over the last thousand years."

"Will you tell me what you do remember?" I ask softly, leaning back into his chest so he can resume running his hands through my hair. I now understand why he used to purr like a kitten when I did this for him, it's incredibly comforting.

"You will like this, he was the one to encourage me to sing." He chuckles in admittance as I smile at him. "I remember how he would always take me into the woods to sing, trying to get me to stop training all the time. He would have me sing along with our mother at nighttime. I think now he was the reason why I even remember all those songs from my human life."

"Was he older or younger than you?" I ask curiously. Vidar appear to only be about mid 20's.

"My older brother. He, I think, died long before the great battle that took our father. I do not remember how." He trails off sadly.

"Well, good thing he's here now. You can always ask him." I cheer him up with that and he smiles at me.

"I hope you had fun, fridr." He pulls me tighter into a hug. "Because I am never letting you do that again. I was a wreck without you. Your brother can tell you, I'm not ashamed to admit it, but I worried endlessly while you were gone. I know in my mind that you could handle yourself, but my heart didn't listen."

"Ah, kjekken. As much fun as I did have at moments back then, the price paid was not worth doing it again any time soon. Many lives were needlessly lost to the senseless war. Freedoms were lost, enemies created, and all those newborns..." I choke up a moment, finally letting that final wall down I put up while in battle. "And all those children... Their innocent young lives ruined because of lies, deceit, and greed. I tried to make every kill as fast as possible, so they wouldn't suffer."