37~No tears left to cry

Najib's POV:

"Doctor, How is she?" I inquired as soon as the doctor stepped out of the room.

"Mr Najib she's...

"Doctor wait! I didn't invite you to answer his questions, I called you to make sure my granddaughter's health is restored." Grandma frowned pulling the doctor back to the room while she shut the door in my face.

"I'm her husband; at least, don't I have the right to know how she's faring?" I yelled.

"What did you just call yourself?" Grandma lashed out, rushing out of the room to face me.

"Her husband," I muttered while shifting away to prevent a second slap from her.

"Do you just realize it? Are you now concerned?"

"Grandma, you shut me out, I'm curious to know...

"Shut up!" She yelled in such a way that it terrified me.

"Najib, do you know what saddens me more? Your lack of remorse." She sighed.

"You don't regret your actions towards the poor girl, do you? Just take a look at her condition." She sighed while opening the door for me to see.

I caught a glimpse of her lying unconsciously on the bed; Amina was seated beside her with a soaked towel, which she used to dampen her forehead. I wasn't expecting things to turn out this messy, and it wasn't as if she didn't deserve it, she certainly did.

Nobody understood my side of the story, they all sympathized with her as if she wasn't at fault in the first place.

"The poor girl has a high fever now and a severe cold; what did you do to her to make her be in this condition? What?!" Grandma yelled, grabbing my collar firmly; she began throwing more slaps at me.

"Grandma relax, I didn't do much...

"Huh? Then what did you do?"

"I only...made her... Stand on..." I stuttered while trying to free myself from her grip, but she held on tightly.

"On what?!" She glared.

"Ice for hours," I said, and she gasped and quickly released my collar, staring at me in shock.

"Najib?... Do you intend on killing her? Are you crazy or what?!" She yelled so loud that everyone's attention was now completely on us.

All the maids could be seen hanging around to eavesdrop.

"Uma, please spare him; ever since he returned, you've been hitting him like a child; he's a grown man; stop it, for God's sake." My stepmother scowled in my defence, making her angrier.

"Aminu, talk some sense into your foolish wife's head before I say something I will regret." Grandma sighed suppressing her anger.

"So now I'm foolish?" She scoffed at Grandma in surprise.

"Khadija please don't interfere."

"Why shouldn't I? Is it because I'm not his birth mother or what? I consider him my son that's why I came to save him from Uma's clutches."

"Najib is my son, and you're his mother too; no one can take that position from you, but please, when he is being scolded for his wrongdoings, don't interrupt."

"She is not my mother; she is Khadija, your wife!" I snapped at Alhaji. "And why is everyone blaming me for Habiba's condition? No one sees the fact that she chose to be punished for her disobedience?" I say, and Grandma chuckles.

"Khadija, look at the grown man you're defending, just take a look at the way he responded to you." She laughed which got her looking irritated.

"This is unfair! You all have to be fair in judging this issue," I snapped and turned to leave when I caught some of the maids laughing, and that got me annoyed.