53~ Mixed Feelings

Habiba's Pov:

Grandma, mother-in-law, Zaitun, father, and Najib all tropped in, it felt as if the whole mansion tagged along.

I was stunned to see them all since I wasn't expecting anyone this early.

"As'Salam... Welcome... I say while wondering why they all came together, even Zaitun?

She is the I least expect to visit me but here she was plastering a fake smile on her face.

"I thought this was supposed to be kept away from everyone?" I glanced at him trying to fetch answers.

"Habiba my darling." Grandma pulls me into a warm hug, she rubbed my back and sat next to me on the bed.

"Grandma... Why are all of you here so early?"

"Why did you keep this away from us?" Was her stern reply.

"Have you been doing this all along, hiding things behind our backs?" She says glancing at Najib and I.

What do I say? This isn't the first incident we've kept away from her, so I remained quiet.

"I waited for you to return home last night but you didn't, not until the driver told me everything." She says bitterly.

"I'm sorry, I didn't want to make you worry unnecessarily that's why I didn't inform you and you are also ill Grandma...

"Oh dear, sometimes I feel like you don't consider me your family."

"What? Grandma, no, please don't say such."

"If I was your mother, would you have kept this away from me?"

"I'm sorry, I didn't mean to... I say, I felt my voice break, so I took a pause to hold in the tears forming in my eyes.

Just the mention of Mom made me feel emotional.

"I just... I didn't mean to... My voice broke again, and once I glanced at Najib chipped in and spoke in my defense.

"Grandma, it's not as you think, I was the one who insisted that she doesn't inform you...

"But why? Is that a wise thing to do?!" She snapped.

"C'mon Grandma, You're also not feeling good, we didn't want to burden you or anyone." He sighed.

"Oh! Silly children." Grandma shook her head slightly, I guess she was disappointed.

"You are our responsibility you can't be a burden us, and no matter the situation we deserve to know, never keep us in the dark again, we're family and family sticks together in good and bad times, don't they?"

"They do, We're sorry."

"No problem, So how do you feel right now?" Father-in-law who has been silent ever since they walked in finally broke his silence.

"I'm fine sir, the doctor assured me that I will be discharged today."

"That's a relief." He smiled.

"I'm relieved as well, I hate hospitals, but I can't do without them especially now that I will be away for my surgery." Grandma sighed.

"When are you leaving?"

"I'll be flying to India tonight, my surgery will take place there." She smiled.

"Oh, I wasn't aware, should I come along?"

"No! You can't!" Mother-in-law says rather harshly that everyone including me had to stare at her for a couple of seconds.

"I mean... you're also ill so how will you tag along?" She utters nervously.