Chapter:3

Author's POV:

"Why are you crying hyung?"

Startled, Taehyung looked over to see Jungkook's sleepy eyes, barely open but filled with concern. 

He'd been awake all this time. Taehyung's heart ached with the weight of the truth he couldn't share.

 How could he possibly explain that the thought of Jungkook mating with someone else was tearing him apart inside?

He forced a smile, masking his true feelings. "Uh, it's nothing, Kook. I just miss Mom and Dad." The lie tasted bitter on his tongue.

Jungkook's gaze was unwavering. "You're lying," 

Taehyung's facade cracked, but he quickly composed himself. Jungkook didn't press further but instead urged him to sit up.

 Taehyung knew what was coming next. Whenever Jungkook needed to talk, he would lay his head on Taehyung's lap and ramble on until sleep claimed him. It was a ritual that brought comfort to both of them.

Jungkook settled his head on Taehyung's lap, his large doe eyes looking up expectantly. Taehyung's heart swelled with affection as he ran his fingers through Jungkook's soft, unruly hair, untangling the knots with gentle care.

"Now, tell me who made you cry," Jungkook demanded, his voice laced with protective determination.

Taehyung chuckled softly. "What will you do?"

"I'll kill whoever tried to hurt you," Jungkook replied, his tone deadly serious.

Taehyung laughed, the sound light and musical. "Okay, my hero. But aren't you forgetting that I trained you?"

Jungkook's face scrunched up in mock annoyance. "Ugh, hyung, I was just looking out for you. Anyway, I know you're changing the topic. Don't act so smart."His playful accusation was met with a tender smile from Taehyung. 

Jungkook's eyes softened as he noticed the dried tear tracks on Taehyung's cheeks. Reaching up, he gently caressed Taehyung's face, his touch feather-light."If you ever want to share things, I'm here, hyung. Please know this: you're never alone."

Taehyung's heart clenched painfully. How he wished he could confide in Jungkook, to unload the turmoil that plagued his mind. But he couldn't. Not now. Maybe not ever.

He placed his hand over Jungkook's, offering a reassuring smile."You're worrying for nothing, Kook."

"Hmm, for sure it's nothing," Jungkook replied, his tone dripping with sarcasm. He didn't push further, believing that Taehyung would eventually open up. 

They had always shared everything, but this time, Taehyung couldn't bring himself to reveal the storm brewing inside him.

___________

The morning was crisp and clear as Taehyung stood at the threshold of packhouse, preparing to leave for the mission with other soldiers who were also bidding farewell to their respective families presently.

Jihyun hovered nearby, her eyes glistening with unshed tears."Take care of yourself, hun. Return to your mama unharmed and safe, hmm?" She cupped his face in her palms, her voice wavering.

Taehyung smiled warmly, pressing a kiss to her forehead. "Don't worry, Mama. Now they should be the ones worrying."

"My brave baby," she murmured, pulling him into a tight embrace. No matter how many times Taehyung went on missions, Jihyun never got used to it. Each goodbye felt as poignant as the first, her heart heavy with concern.