Chapter:12

Author's POV:

"You have to be very careful, Jungkook-ssi. Since he is your mate, your wolf may be extremely reluctant to do any harm to Taehyung's wolf. But you're over 18 now, so your wolf should be under your control. You have to do this for him," Dr. Jin instructed, his voice firm but laced with sympathy.

Jungkook's brows furrowed as he tried to grasp the gravity of the situation. "I'm still very confused, Doctor. Once his wolf dies, then what? Will he be...?"

"A human? Yes," Dr. Jin confirmed solemnly.

Human. The word echoed in Jungkook's mind, each repetition a hammer strike against his heart. Human meant he could never run with his hyung's wolf again. Human meant he would never again smell the comforting scent of his hyung in his wolf form, that unique blend of floral sweetness. Human meant never feeling the thrill of fighting alongside him.

 Human meant losing the magical connection that made them mates, made them more than just Jungkook and Taehyung. 

Jungkook's mind reeled with the implications. Human meant he would never see those mesmerizing purple eyes of Taehyung's wolf, eyes that glowed with an intensity that spoke of undeniable power and unspoken promises. 

Above all, human meant Jungkook would have to face Taehyung every day, knowing he had taken away a part of him, knowing he had made him less than whole.

Jungkook's shoulders slumped, and his eyes filled with tears. Dr. Jin placed a comforting hand on his shoulder. "At least he will be alive and healthy. His survival should be our first priority," he said, hoping to console Jungkook, but the words only fueled his inner turmoil.

"Healthy? What do you mean by healthy, Doctor? You know too well how this will affect him emotionally. For a werewolf, his wolf is half of him. You're calling a half-dead person healthy? Really?" Jungkook's voice cracked with a mix of anger and despair.

Doctor's expression softened. "Don't you see the pain he's in, Jungkook-ssi? If you truly care about him, don't waste any more time because we are losing him."

Those words, "we are losing him," felt like a dagger stabbing through Jungkook's heart. He took a deep breath and made a firm decision in that moment. "I am ready," he declared, his voice steady with determination.

***

Taehyung woke up a few minutes ago, only to receive the biggest shock of his life. It would have been better if he had just died than to know that his wolf was going to be killed by none other than his mate. 

When he was told everything, he refused to see anyone. "I want to be alone for some time," he had simply said.

A whirlwind of thoughts stormed through his mind. Could his life get any more complicated?

'Why was I made like this?' At this point, even his eyes were dry from crying too much. He just stared blankly at the wall in front of him, feeling numb.

A soft knock at the door broke his reverie, then it opened a little, revealing a very guilty-looking Jungkook.

"Hyung?"

"You can come in, Jungkook."

Jungkook mumbled a small "Okay" and entered. An awkward silence enveloped them until younger decided to break it.

"Hyung, I think it's time." He managed to speak, though his voice wavered.

Taehyung looked down, lightly nibbling on his lower lip, when a warm hand reached out to cup his right cheek. "Do you trust me, Tae?" Taehyung nodded instantly.