Chapter Eighty

James woke up early and smiled when he saw Emily next to him in bed. She's definitely a keeper. Climbing out of bed, he went to use the bathroom, then found some clothes and dressed himself.

Meanwhile Emily rolled in bed, searching for James's warmth. When she didn't find it, she curled into a tight ball as her pleasant dream turned into a nightmare, making her jerk in her sleep.

James looked up when he saw how restless Emily was. He quickly crossed the room and sat on the edge of the bed next to her. Reaching out, he rubbed her back to soothe her and gently wake her.

Only when she felt his touch, Emily recoiled with a gasp, and faced the other way, wrapping herself in the blanket.

"Emily... come on, wake up love." James encouraged in a soft tone. "You're safe here."

Hearing James' voice brought her out of her dream with a gasp. She panted in shallow breaths as her eyes focused on her surroundings and she rolled to find James.

James moved to lay on the edge of the bed so he could pull Emily into his arms. "I'm right here and I'm not going anywhere." He promised her.

Emily clutched at James' shirt. "You-you we're gone," she gasped, beginning to sob. "Then... th-then he came back only to leave again."

"I had to use the bathroom, that's all. I'm not going to leave you." James promised.

She whimpered, burying her head against his chest. "It felt like it happened all over again."

"It was only a dream. I'm here with you and that's not going to change." James assured her. "If you want to talk about anything regarding him, you can. I won't be upset or jealous or anything."

Emily's shoulders slumped. "It still hurts to think about... to talk about."

James rubbed Emily's back to help comfort her. "I can understand that, and I won't add any pressure. Just know that when you are ready, I'll be here to listen."

"Thank you, James." Emily sighed softly. "I'm sorry that I startled you."

"You don't need to apologize. It's not your fault." James assured her. "Do you want to go back to sleep?"

Emily whimpered and buried her head into his chest. "I don't know if I could fall back asleep."

"How about I go make you breakfast? I've perfected making pancakes that are edible enough." James said with a grin.

She smiled at him and nodded. "That sounds nice. Just let me get dressed and I'll meet you in the kitchen."

"I will see you in a few minutes then." James said with a smile. He stole a quick kiss before getting out of bed. "It sounds like the others are getting up as well." He told her before he left to get started on breakfast.

Emily quickly got out of bed and dressed in sweats and a long sleep shirt, then ran a brush through her hair. When she stepped out of the bedroom, the smell of fresh brewing coffee made her smile.

James hurried out of the kitchen with a cup of coffee for Emily, having remembered how she took it. "Freshly made just for you." He told her. "I will have the pancakes ready in just a minute. Can you see if Steve and Mary want some as well?"

"I can ask. Do you think they're decent?" She asked, a small smirk on her face.

"Never, but I do believe they are dressed." James chuckled, just as the bedroom door opened for Steve and Mary came out.

Emily turned and smiled at Mary and Steve. "James is cooking this morning."

"James never cooks. He doesn't even heat up his pop tarts." Mary chuckled. "I'm guessing you two had a nice time last night?" She asked, grinning.