Chapter 31

Leah p.o.v

Its been two weeks since I made the biggest mistake of my life, ending my relationship with Riley. At the time it was out of anger but now that I'm without her I feel so empty. Riley starts her tour today. I don't even know where she is or if she's already in Barcelona but I hope she has a good tour. I wish i was there for her but given the fact she's ignored every one of my calls and texts and as far as I know ignored everyone else's I can only assume she wants nothing to do with me.

We have our first game for the euros tomorrow. I push Riley to the back of my mind and try to focus on football. My job. It's 10pm and I notice Riley is trending on twitter. "looks like her first show was class." Beth says over my shoulder as we watch some videos of her show that the fans took. I listen to her voice and watch every video I can find. This being the first time I've seen her since we broke up. She did so well and sounds amazing. I feel so guilty that no one was there to support her. She looks happy though. I'm glad she's happy. I retweet one of her songs. It reminds me of us. Hoping one day this will get easier. Thinking this song will remind her of me just as much as it reminds me of her.

Its game day. First one of the euros and we are all buzzed. I have to keep up moral even if I'm breaking inside. "she'll be watching." Beth whispers to me as we walk down the tunnel.  "yeah maybe." I'm going to play as if she is here. As if she's the only one I the crowd. I wish she was here but I know she wouldn't come now. Not after we broke up.

The game finishes 10-0. I can't believe it. We played so good. I search the crowd for Riley but I don't see her. I didnt expect to. I notice my mum and she gives me a smile. She's never really spoke to me about Riley but I know she's upset Riley isnt around anymore. I think she's annoyed with me but Riley still lied to me. I wish i was looking up to see my mum and Riley but I've accepted its over.

I'm sitting with kiera and Lucy when my phone pings and so does both of theirs. I assumed it was just the groupchat but then I see her name. Riley tagged me in a post.

"congratulations to the lionesses on the first of many victories in this tournament. You are doing yourself, your family and your country proud. Can't wait to watch you lift that trophy." kiera reads out. Riley tagged us all In it. Even me. The first interaction she's made since we broke up. "wait she was there." Lucy jolts up. The first photo is one of the result and stats but the second photo is one of us on the pitch. Oh my god she was there. "what the fuck?" I can't stop staring at the post. She was there? Why was she there?

Beth p.o.v

"she was fucking here. In Manchester. At the fucking game." leah bursts through the door almost knocking it off its hinges. "what?" I can't actually process what she's saying. "Riley. She was here... Look." leah shows me her phone but her hands are shaking so I take it out her hands. Oh fuck she was here. To be honest I haven't spoke to leah about Riley, I'm confused to what happened but im worried about riley. Viv has messaged her and called her so many times. She cries a lot about how worried she is and how much she misses Riley. It breaks my heart and leah is so miserable too. I don't know what happened or why Riley went to Scotland but it cant be worth all this pain. For her to come to the game it must mean something. "wasn't she in Barcelona yesterday?" I say handing back the phone to leah. "yeah she was but this was taken by her. She was here." I think Riley was here. She said she would be but no one expected her to after her and leah ended but when has Riley ever let leah down?

I give Riley a message. Hoping she will at least read it. I just wanted to show my support for her like she has for the lionesses. I wish we could be there. I got no response.

We watch Rileys two shows in Rome and of course she smashed it. Leah has been glued to her phone every chance she gets to watch Riley perform. I hope she isn't setting herself up to get hurt. I really wish I could understand what was going on in Rileys mind for her to go to Scotland and for her to not fight for leah like she always has done.