Chapter 22: Yiga Clash 1/3

Almost every Yiga, big and small, gathered into the gigantic ballroom. A stage stood at the front with two podiums for the contestants to stand. Serdin and Nadri watched from the balcony above the audience, getting the best view out of everyone. Nadri had a pout on her face, as her and Klay hadn't talked since their fight.

Klay, his friends, and many others were gathered behind the curtains of the stage. Klay fumbled with his hands, and Fletch set his hand on the Zora's shoulder, reassuring him that everything would go fine. Latch joined Fletch and gestured to where the audience was, "At this point, it is about gaining Nadri's trust again so that you can hopefully escape this place. You're not doing this for those people out there or whatever title this gives you. You need to win this for Nadri."

"I know," Klay nodded. "Uh, are you sure you guys are fine with this plan we've got? I mean, you guys have been training so hard for this and—"

"Eh, there's always next year," Etch shrugged.

"Guys, they're starting!" John urged.

Everyone scrambled near the wing entrance to hear who's name would be called first to get on, as they were randomly picked before the event. The announcer cleared his throat on stage and spoke in a booming voice, "WELCOME ONE AND ALL! TODAY IS THE YIGA CLASH! WE WILL START OFF WITH ROUND 1! CONTESTANTS WILL GO AGAINST EACH OTHER BY ANSWERING A SERIES OF TEN QUESTIONS! THEY PRESS A BUTTON TO ANSWER. WHOEVER GETS THE MOST ANSWERED CORRECTLY, MOVES ON TO ROUND 1.5! WE'll EXPLAIN THOSE RULES WHEN WE GET THERE! OUR FIRST TWO CONTESTANTS...KLAY AND JOHN!"

Everyone pushed the two out on stage, and Klay slightly froze at the immense crowd. John gave him a reassuring smile and Klay took a deep breath. John headed for the left podium and Klay went for the right.

"ANSWER THIS," the announcer began, "WHAT IS THE GERUDO COMPRISED OF?"

Klay's eyes widened at the question and he looked to John. The blademaster stood there, pretending to think hard. Klay couldn't believe how simple of a question this was. He tapped his button and it sounded a buzz throughout the room.

"KLAY!"

"Uh, women?"

"WOMEN!"

The crowd cheered and clapped; It was like a formula for each question that was answered correctly. With each answer, Klay felt more and more guilt for John. He was a kind soul and his opportunity for greatness was being taken away through the embarrassment of not being able to answer simple questions.

"FINAL QUESTION! WHO ARE THE CHAMPIONS?"

Tap! Klay cleared his throat, "Princess Mipha is the Zora Champion. Lord Daruk is the Goron Champion. Chief Urbosa is the Gerudo Champion. Revali was the Rito Champion. Although he is dead now...leaving no one to fill the role as Rito Champion."

"...ACED IT! KLAY WILL BE MOVING ON TO THE NEXT ROUND!"

.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.

"ROOUUNNNDDD 1.5 FOLKS!" The announcer danced around the stage. And the crowd cheered along with his enthusiasm. "EACH GROUP OF CONTESTANTS WILL BE GIVEN A RANDOM SCENARIO! THEY MUST MAKE THE BEST STRATEGY TO GET FROM POINT A TO POINT B! THE STRATEGY WILL BE JUDGED BY NONE OTHER THAN OUR GREAT LEADER MASTER SERDIN!"

As the crowd got more riled, Klay turned to his friends. John and Fletch looked slightly down, as they could no longer proceed in the tournament. Etch and Latch were still going strong, however. They passed their rounds with ease.

"Remember Klay," Etch clenched his fist with encouragement, "channel your inner soldier! You've got plenty of experience up your sleeve!"

"I'll do my best," Klay smiled.