Chapter 31: Doubt your Doubts

Klay lightly tapped his fingertips on the table, his chin resting on his other hand. He glanced over at Liana, who was busy finishing up some paperwork. He then danced his eyes around her room and stared at the spot where the Zora armor used to be. He wanted it so bad. He wanted to accept her proposal. He would love to spend his whole life with her. However, then he began to worry. In the video he watched of her, Liana mentioned how she should just give up on the proposal. What if she really meant it? He was determined to figure it out. He didn't care whether the armor was ready or not, he just wanted to be with her.

"Sooo," Klay leaned back in his chair and folded his arms, "you've been...a bit distant lately."

"Me?" Liana perked up at him.

"Yeah. I mean, it just kind of feels like something is missing between us...not in a bad way."

She smirked and continued writing on her paper, "Is it because I haven't been all lovey-dovey with you lately?" He slightly blushed and she giggled, "I just wanted to give you a bit of space, you know? I mean, just two weeks ago we got you out of the Yiga Hideout. Surely your mind would still need some time to process things and all that. I just don't want to overwhelm you after all the things Nadri put you through."

Klay gave a soft smile, almost stunned at how considerate she was being of him. He hadn't experienced such respect in a while, "Thank you, Liana. Although, to be honest, I don't care if you're the one fawning over me. Unlike Nadri, you actually understand the concept of personal space and consent."

"Speaking of the Yiga," Liana set her pen down and gently swept her paper to the side, now putting all her attention on him, "I don't think you've told me all that happened to you at the Clan. I didn't pester you much about it at first because I wanted to give you some time to process, but I know for sure that there is still stuff you aren't telling me. I'm fine to listen if you want to talk about it, or you don't have to talk at all. I'm just really curious."

"Um..."

Klay had already explained to her most of his experience with the kinds of abuse Nadri and Serdin did to him. He told her about the whole marriage situation. He explained to her about the Yiga Clash, but he never told her about round three of the Yiga Clash and the video he saw of her. He knew she would feel awful if she found out he practically battled against death. He knew that she would feel extremely disappointed to know that he had found out about the armor. He could always refuse to explain the rest of his experience, but he knew that curiosity would always be there. He had to pick one.

"I almost...died," he flinched as Liana slammed her hands on the table.

"What?! Why wasn't that the first thing that you told me?!" She immediately stood up and set her hands on his shoulders. "How? What did they do to you? Ugh! If we could've just come sooner..."

"Liana, I'm obviously fine," he chuckled and touched her right hand with his left. "I lied about the Yiga Clash. There were actually three rounds and the one who wins the second round is the only one to move on to round three. Serdin chooses what happens in the round depending on the person. He...He made me fight a blue lynel up in the Gerudo Highlands."

"B-But you've fought plenty of lynels before!"

"Not without a single trace of cold protection and only a flimsy traveler's sword."

Liana stared at him in awe for a moment, but then her brow furrowed, "Klay!"

"I won though! I defeated the lynel! I mean, I did almost die because of Serdin purposely screwing things up and me almost being blown to pieces—"

"Stop! Just stop talking!" She put her hand over his mouth. "I think I've heard enough."

He chuckled and brought her hand down, "Liana, I'm literally right in front of you. I survived."