26. My Favorite Murderer

''You are going to find Davina a good match right Viserys?'' Jaehaeys asked and Viserys nodded. He had promised both his father and grandfather he wasnt trying to hurt davina he was just trying to keep his promise to them and get her married. 

But seeing Davina so mad, having her hate him so much hurt. It hurt him because he loved Davina.

Aemma was pregnant again when Jaehaerys declared for a new heir to be decided. As a good and peaceful king that he was he wanted the people to help choose. Rhaenys although older was a woman so she knew she had to fight harder for this title that was rightfully hers. 

But as the first century of the Targaryen dynasty came to a close, the health of the Old King, Jaehaerys, was failing. In those days, House Targaryen stood at the height of its strength with 10 adult dragons under its yoke. No power in the world could stand against it. King Jaehaerys reigned over nearly 60 years of peace and prosperity. But tragedy had claimed both his sons, leaving his succession in doubt.

So, in the year 101, the Old King called a Great Council to choose an heir. Over a thousand lords made the journey to Harrenhal. Fourteen succession claims were heard but only two were truly considered

Princess Rhaenys Targaryen, the King's eldest descendant, and her younger cousin, Prince Viserys Targaryen, the King's eldest male descendant.

'It is declared by all lords paramount and lords vassal of the Seven Kingdoms... that Prince Viserys Targaryen be made Prince of Dragonstone.' Jaehaerys Targaryen decreed.

Rhaenys, a woman, would not inherit the Iron Throne. The lords instead chose Viserys... Jaehaerys called the Great Council to prevent a war being fought over his succession. For he knew the cold truth. The only thing that could tear down the House of the Dragon... was itself.

Davina knew that to be true only too well. They would tear each other apart.

"Smile Daemon." Davina instructed and he rolled his eyes. "You are his heir." Davina whispered kissing his cheek and he pulled her closer.

"When I'm king there will be no more bullshit unions." Daemon informed her. "We, you and me as it always should have been, forever."

"Forever." Davina agreed. 

+

When their grandsire died Davina lite the fire. Viserys was named king and he thought to himself he could stop this. He could stop all the madness and Davina and daemon could wed. But he promised both his father and grandsire... both of their dying wishes were for Davina.

Davina sat with Rhaenyra on Fury as they reached up for the stars.

"Mama, I wish you were here." Davina rasped. "You would save me." She got higher and higher until she felt dizzy and lightheaded before Fury swooped down. Rhaenyra laughed and laughed in her arms.

Davina didnt think she liked kids but she liked Rhaenyra. Rhaenyra was like herself. Not like Aemma or Viserys. Rhaenyra was free and had so much life in her.

Davina hugged Rhaenyra to herself as she slid off Fury's back and landed on her feet with a thud. She put Rhaenyra down, holding onto her hand as they went back to dragonstone.

Meanwhile Aemma had yet another miscarriage at the capital.

Viserys peered in Rhaenyra's room only to see a note. He picked it up.

-I have abducted your daughter. Forgo these unions or I turn her into a mini me.
Your favorite murderer, Dav-

"My favorite murderer." viserys repeated crumpling up the note.