Part 6

Her eyes were wandering around the table, as she kept her lips pressed making me readjust in my chair feeling a little uncomfortable.

"So..." I broke the silence "Do you still wanna be friends?" I glanced at her.

Shuri looked up at me, as the corner of her lip curled a little making me feel slightly relieved noticing it.

"Yeah" she shrugged her shoulders "You said it yourself... We're adults now...I think we can handle this"

I analyzed her face as she put a piece of breath in her mouth carefully, almost as if nothing had happened. How could she act like this? I mean... Wasn't the two years we spent together nothing to her? Was it that easy for her to carry on with her life after I left, or after she kicked me out?

I took another sip of wine looking around as I felt the air getting a little tenser still feeling her eyes on me.

"But I would really like to know if you're seeing someone!" she chuckled making me roll up my eyes before laughing.

"Fuck Shuri" I let my head fall back as her eyes traced every inch of my neck "Yeah...I'm currently dating. Multiple people actually!" I said ironically.

"Really?" she raised both of her eyebrows with a smirk "And how's that going for you?"

"Pretty good!" I nodded my head "I only sleep at home like two days of the week you know... I don't even have two pairs of sheets, 'cause... I don't need them" 

"I bet you don't" she winked at me with a smirk on my face "Have you finally tried some man?"

"Oh yeah... A dick a day keeps the doctor away...you know what they say" I said laughing covering my eyes with my hand.

Shuri was leaning back on her chair, her arm stretched over the table as her fingers carefully surrounded the stem of her glass and for a second I felt I was 20 years old all over again. Shuri was being Shuri, always with a smirk on her lips, her eyes sparkling as I talked, I felt completely relaxed almost as if she hadn't broken my heart and completely banished me from her life after I told her she was the love of my life. After she told me I was the love of her life. 

I knew she didn't want me anymore. And I wasn't trying, it was logical I couldn't trust her, but that was the problem. I couldn't trust myself near her. I felt my chest burning as her eyes traced every bit of my face as I laughed.

"Seriously...I've been following your company's research and it's actually really cool" she said leaning forward "It's pretty awesome to see you achieved what you wanted"

"Thank you" I pressed my lips against each other tilting my head "I mean... There's lots of work to be made...But I think we're doing pretty good!"

"Do you wanna get going?" she asked.

"Yeah...We have to work tomorrow" I sighed resting my chin on my hand.

"I mean....We don't...It's not like we can't make our own schedules" she smiled at me as I got up carefully feeling the alcohol sinking in.

"We do need to work Shuri" I said seriously "I need to rush on these tests so I can go back home" I mumbled.

Shuri kept quiet looking at me, as I felt a chill running over my spine noticing her eyebrows frowning a little at my words. She got herself straight up before starting to walk up to the door as I followed her slowly.

I felt the light breeze hitting my face, and my skin bristled a little making me frown my nose. I felt her hands on my shoulders and I turned around noticing she had covered my back with her jacket making my eyes squeeze a little. She kept still, as her eyes focused on mine, her lips were the same shade of pink I remembered from years ago, her eyes had the same sparkle I used to know, and her hands were tucked in her trousers showing how relaxed she was.

"You're going to get cold" I whispered trying to control my breath.

"I won't" she mumbled biting on her inner lip.

"How?" My eyes traveled from her eyes to her lips.

"I never am" her shoulders shrugged a little as I pulled her jacket across my chest.

"Then why do you always carry a jacket or something?" I could feel her breath against my face, my eyes were looking up at her, making me feel so small again.

"Because I know you're always cold" she mumbled.

She had nothing on her lips, not a smile or even a provocative smirk, all I could focus on was her eyes and how they were staring into my soul. I knew we were both a little drunk, but for some reason, I couldn't blame the wine on what I was feeling. My legs shook a little, noticing her swallow softly, and leaning her head in my direction a little bit more.

"But what if you do get cold?" I felt my voice disappearing little by little as my lips got closer and closer to hers.

"I won't" she shook her head " And if I did...I wouldn't care" she finally said before finally leaning forward.

It was only a matter of seconds, but the images invaded my head as I felt my chest tighten so much, it made my throat close, not stopping me from breathing, and without even realizing it, I took a step back resting my eyes on the floor.