Part 49

"I just don't know why she would show up just to disappear again" I said as Shuri folded another t-shirt placing it down on her suitcase.

"Maybe she had some problem with her phone...I've told you millions of times that you're phones are so primitive..." she raised her eyebrows with a smirk on her lips.

"I was actually thinking about giving her an opportunity you know" I sat down on the edge of her bed as my eyes sank into the floor making Shuri quickly get up and kneel in front of my legs.

"Well...Maybe you were right...I know how much you love to hear that" she smirked at me making me laugh to myself "Maybe she's not a good person, but I promise you that she's the one losing in this" her eyes were kind, as her hand grabbed mine pulling it up to her mouth before she rested a gentle kiss on it.

"ugh...I need to shake this off" I rolled up my eyes before taking a deep breath "When are you leaving?" 

"Tomorrow..." she got up walking towards her bags again as I followed her every move carefully.

I knew she had to go back, she had duties and obligations she could never let behind, and I was grateful for the time she stayed while everything was burning around me, but there was something in me wishing she stayed for a little while. Maybe if I asked her, she would stay...But that was not my place, and it would probably be one of the shellfish acts that had crossed my mind, but just imagining her going back and not seeing her for years again made my heart shrink to the size of a button.

"You could come..." she glanced up at me as I shook my head.

"Maybe later...I still need to continue my research" I bit my lower lip.

"Well...Your lab is at the same place it has always been...Not a single thing was moved since you left..." her hands were grabbing a black fabric as she focused her eyes on it.

"I've noticed..." I smiled feeling my chest burning. "Four years is a long time to keep something so perfectly"

"Well...It was your lab...I wouldn't like to know someone had messed with mine...So I asked them not to touch anything" her shoulders shrugged as her eyes met mine once again.

"Thank you" I mumbled making her smile one last time.

My eyes wandered around the window next to me, the sun was slowly setting, leaving the streets with an orange light hovering, and the street lights switching on while people walked around trying to protect themselves from the cold air.

"I should get going" I said getting up and stretching my body as she walked over to me.

"I can take you home" She smiled placing her hands in her pockets.

"No..." I chuckled "I like walking alone...It's relaxing...You know this" I tilted my head as she let out a laugh on her lips. 

"When am I seeing you again?" she asked coming a little closer making my legs tremble a little.

"Ahm..I need to organize some shit but as soon as I get everything straighten up I'll call you..." I whispered trying to control my breath "Keep my lab clean" my lips formed a smirk.

"Will do" she nodded her head keeping her eyes on the floor.

I wanted to hold her against me so hard, pulling her closer and closer, ask her to keep me as her own, to make me feel safe as she always had, but I couldn't. I took one last look at her, as the air around us started to get a little heavier making me take a deep breath.

"I'm gonna go now" I mumbled.

Shuri gently nodded her head, her head leaning a little towards mine making my body freeze waiting for it, as I closed my eyes finally feeling her lips on my cheek, a little lower than I was expecting causing my chest to sting a little. That was not what I wanted.

Her arms pulled me closer to her before wrapping me around, my head resting on her shoulders as my nose tried to keep as much of her perfume as it could and my body held her warmth.

"I'll see you soon?" I asked pulling away and starting to walk towards the door.

"I'll see you soon." she reassured me with her eyes locked into mine as I finally walked out of the room feeling a sense of emptiness on me.

I could feel my nose and cheeks almost freezing as I got home running upstairs and walking into my dad's room trying to find that old jumper he used to wear on the coldest days. I picked out the brown woolded piece and dressed it as fast as possible wrapping my arms around my body to keep myself warm. 

I took a look around, making my way to his bed and sitting down as my eyes rested on the nightstand once again. Read it

I breathed out, trying to relieve some of the nerves before opening the top drawer and picking up the letter that was still lying there, waiting for me.

Maybe I shouldn't read it, or maybe I should. My dad had left it for me, for some reason he chose to leave something for me to read after he died rather than telling me himself, making me believe that it was something I wouldn't want to hear.

My fingers gently opened the envelope taking the piece of paper out as my eyes scanned it making me feel a tear forming on them while I carefully watched his handwriting.

"Hey kiddo"