Part 21

Her face changed as the words came out of my mouth making her smile slowly fade into a simple line and her eyes looking away to her hand.

"I just...really wanted to know why..." I whispered.

"I don't think it's the right time to have this conversation" she mumbled finally looking at me again.

"Why?" 

"Your dad is in the other room sleeping...And this day has been hard on you" she said slightly moving a little away from me making me feel the cold around me.

"You never gave me a reason..." I whispered looking into her eyes "You told me to leave...and I did, and after that, I never saw or heard from you again..." my chest was racing with fear of hearing something I didn't want to "I actually think you own me that" I smirked at her trying to lighten up the mood, but she stayed serious bitting her inner lip as my heart climbed through my throat before she let a gentle sigh out of her lips.

"Have you ever..." she mumbled stopping and looking up gaining the courage to speak as my eyes followed her every move "Have you ever loved someone so much you felt guilty about it?" she asked making me swallow deeply and staying still letting her continue "You feel like you're trapping them and preventing them from going into the world to do what they love the most? Because that's what I started to feel..." her voice became more of a whisper.

"What?" I frowned my eyebrows a little.

"You were just starting your career...And doing so well..." she smiled at me "But you were stuck in Wakanda because of me, I couldn't leave my people behind...And the night you wer.." 

"packing my bags to go to a conference.." I interrupted her remembering that night, the first time I started to feel her a little distant "I flew to Washington and came back on the same day..."

"Exactly..." she sighed "You were exhausted, and I couldn't be the one to hold you back. Not you. Especially you".

I kept quiet, my body froze as I tried to take it all in feeling her eyes searching my face for a reaction but I just stood still. All this time my head kept making me believe that Shuri had gotten tired of me, that I wasn't enough for her and her status when it was all unreal.

"Y/N?" she murmured making me look back at her.

"So you thought that calling things off and forcing me to go back home was the right thing to do?" my voice came out a bit raspy.

"I couldn't stand to see you unhappy" her eyes were shining a little more than usual making my chest pace.

"I wasn't unhappy... I was excited...A little tired but I had never been happier my whole life Shuri..." I said noticing a smile forming on her lips "I had finally gotten the results I wanted in my research, we were...engaged... of course I was tired, but that's part of it" I kept going "You made me unhappy..you broke my heart Shuri" I let out a deep breath feeling my lower lip shaking a little.

"I know..." she looked down moving a little closer to me.

"You don't" I quickly said making her open her eyes a little more.

"I am really sorry" she finally said pressing her lips together.

"You know I can make decisions on my own right?" I frowned an eyebrow at her as a smile started to form on her lips while she nodded her head at me "Because...Someone who loves you doesn't make you feel like trash just because"

"You said it yourself..." she carefully rested her hand on my cheek making my body shiver a little at her warmness "We were kids...And I'm sorry".

I closed my eyes letting her touch invade my mind bringing me the peace it had always carried. Part of me knew I was supposed to be mad at her, hate her, but the other part knew I could never hate Shuri. 

"I really thought you were going to scream at me right now.." she chuckled making me open my eyes and realizing she was closer than before, her nose barely touching mine.

"My dad is in the next room..." I sighed "I actually wanted to slap you"

"You definitely should" she smirked at me nodding her head "I completely deserve it" she said making me chuckle against her shoulder feeling her perfume on my skin.

Her hands wrapped my body against hers making me feel her heartbeat on my chest before lifting my chin a little to look at her "You were selfish" I said with a smile.

"I know I was..." she raised her eyebrows "I'll make it up to you. I promise" she smiled skimming her nose against mine "What do you want me to do? I can jump off a cliff... Whatch those horrific rom-coms you love so much...name it and I'll do it" she smirked making me lower my face a little leaning my forehead to her cheek.

"Can you just..." I sighed against her neck "stay?"

Her arms tightened around my body, pulling me closer to her, as I heard a sigh coming out from her lips.

"Yeah. I can do that" she whispered against the top of my head.