CHAPTER THIRTEEN: Chase Me

The Umbrella Academy
Eight days until the end of the world...

The Umbrella Academy was all gathered again for the first time since Diego moved out at seventeen and the others dwindled after him. However, they only see each other at weddings and funerals, this being the latter. The siblings sat in udder silence around the living room. None of them had talked to each other in years and there was drama to spare.

Luther broke the quiet. "Um, I guess we should get this started. So, I figured we could have a sort of memorial service in the courtyard at sundown. Say a few words, just at Dad's favorite spot."

"Dad had a favorite spot?" Allision asked quizzically.

"You know, under the oak tree. We used to sit out there all the time. None of you ever did that?" Luther always was a daddy's boy. He didn't leave until four years ago when Reginald sent him off to be stationed on the moon. It hurt him more than he said and he talked about it a lot.

"Will there be refreshments?" Klaus asked while holding a cigarette in one hand and a cubed glass of alcohol in the other. "Tea? Scones? Cucumber sandwiches are always a winner."

"What? No. And put that out. Dad didn't allow smoking in here." They all rolled their eyes at One's mention of their dad yet again.

"Is that my skirt?" Three piped up as Klaus walked by.

"What? Oh, yeah, this. I found it in your room. It's a little dated, I know, but it's very breathy on the bits." Klaus brushed it down.

Spaceboy shook his head. "Listen up. Still some important things that we need to discuss, alright?"

"Like what?" Diego inquired.

"Like the way he died," Luther responded as if it was obvious.

Two scoffed, already annoyed by this. He had checked to see if there was any evidence of foul play and came up empty but One refused to believe it. "And here we go."

"I don't understand. I thought they said it was a heart attack," Vanya puzzled.

"Yeah, according to the coroner." One scoffed in disbelief.

Vanya narrowed her eyes at the large man. "Well, wouldn't they know?"

"Theoretically." He shrugged.

"Theoretically?" They all put on their best 'are you serious' faces.

"I'm just saying, at the very least, something happened. The last time I talked to Dad, he sounded strange."

Klaus gurgled his drink. "Oh, quelle surprise!"

"Strange how?"

"He sounded on edge. Told me I should be careful who to trust."

"Luther, he was a paranoid, bitter old man who was starting to lose what was left of his marbles." Two always told it as it was. Straight forward, yes, but it was refreshing.

"No. He must have known something was going to happen. Look, I know you don't like to do it, but I need you to talk to Dad." Luther turned his attention to Klaus. Allison scoffed and they collectively rolled their eyes. They already knew he wasn't going to do it.

"I can't just call Dad in the afterlife and be like, "Dad, could you just stop playing tennis with Hitler for a moment and take a quick call?""

"Since when? That's your thing," Luther spout, growing agitated at his siblings lack of support.

"I'm not in the right... frame of mind."

"You're high?" the Rumor said in incredulity.

"Yeah! Yeah! I mean how are you not, listening to this nonsense?" Four heartily chuckled.