CHAPTER SEVENTY-ONE: Going Dark

They all stampeded into the White Buffalo Suite to see Luther laying dead in a lake of blood with a giant slash across his chest and Sloane resting his head on her lap. "Oh my God, Luther."

"What happened?" Five asked with wide eyes.

"He went to go get ice. I couldn't—He didn't come back. I... I don't know." Sloane wept.

Lila glanced at Diego. "It must have been him. The guardian."

Diego crouched down beside him. "She's right. Whatever did this had a long curved blade."

"How... How can you be sure?" Viktor's mouth hung low as his eyes skimmed over his brother's limp body.

Diego looked up at him. "I don't know much, but I know knives."

"Children, what's going on?" Reginald gasped upon entering the room. "Oh God! Luther."

Ben took a seat. "If we attacked first, he would still be alive," he growled. There was a boom as the front of the hotel crumbled away and the remaining walls shook, bits of previously unseen dust coming down from the seams.

Connor and Haddock ran down the hallway to the voices in the suite. "Guys?! We're fixin' to go dark!" Connor exclaimed as the couple reached the open door, light from the Kugelblitz spilling into the room.

Sloane sniffled. "What are we gonna do with Luther?"

"Okay, we're out of time! The Kugelblitz is here," Five told them.

"Into the passage! It's the only way!" Reginald told them and opened the door, ushering them in.

Fleur caught Diego running for the passage, latching a hand onto his arm. "You agreed to stay!"

"They killed Luther, alright?!" Diego shouted back.

Haddock stood still as he calmly witnessed this all occurring. "Fish! Come on!"

He held her hands with odd serenity at a time like this. "Consy, I voted to stay."

"Haddock, so help me if you don't get in that tunnel I'll... I'll never forgive you."

He narrowed his eyes. "What?"

She pulled his arm with all of her weight towards the door as people filed in. "I will never forgive you if you give up on me right now."

He scoffed at her pointless struggle. "Consy—"

"I mean it," she spat with bared teeth and fire in her cool eyes. He stared back at her released a breath then went in after her.

"Come on, children! Hurry, please!" Sir Hargreeves continued waving a hand.

"We can't leave him," Sloane looked at the others in distress and the building quaked.

"We go now, or we're gonna die." Allison pried Sloane off of Luther's carcass. "Come on!"

Fleur stood and took a glimpse around at her surroundings, the walls being torn from their seams. "This is what we were waiting for," she muttered.

"Come on!" Diego grabbed Fleur and Five by their wrists and pulled them along with him.

Five gritted his teeth. "This isn't over!" he groused then went through leading his love in the lit tunnel.

Viktor sighed. "Let's never do that again."

"What, narrowly escape the apocalypse?" Five said.

"It's kinda our thing," Fleur murmured back.

"Hey, where's Klaus?" Connor looked around with wide eyes.

"He-He was right behind us," Fleur announced with an equally aghast expression.