CHAPTER SIXTY-ONE: Astronomical

"This actually isn't so terrible," Five commented from his relaxed position in the backseat.

"See? Told you," Klaus said to him with a relieved grin.

Five sighed. "Come to think of it, my whole life I've been under the gun. Missions for Dad, working for the Commission, trying to survive the apocalypse. I was always looking around every corner, just waiting for the other shoe to drop. It's nice to just breathe." Fleur gave him a small smile then turned her attention back to the road.

"Good for you, man. Retirement is suiting you," Klaus said in a soothing voice.

"Hey, Klaus, where are you taking us anyway?" Fleur played in the waves of wind, her fingers dancing on the air.

Five piped up and took a map out from the floorboard, "Oh! All right. So, I've circled all the roadside attractions along the way." He held it to the front seat so that Fleur and Klaus could both view it. "We have the Brownsville Big Nickel. Oh, Ricky's Bakery has award-winning pies."

"Ooo, last one sounds pretty nifty."

Klaus grit his teeth. "I... don't think we'll have time for all of that."

"Or there's this Cow Henge."

"Wait, what do you mean?" she questioned with furrowed eyebrows.

"Oh, it's these ginormous monuments—"

Fleur cut Five off. "No, Klaus, what do you mean we won't have time?"

"If you just let me explain..." Klaus tightened his grip around the steering wheel until his knuckles were white while Five continued to ramble as he fought with the large map. The Séance swatted away the map. "That's it—Don't—Listen to me. Just shut up for two seconds, okay? Just two seconds, okay?"

Fleur crossed her arms and leaned back. Five sighed and folded away his map. "Okay, I'm all ears."

"We are going to Pennsylvania to find my birth mother. Yay!" He drummed his hands on the steering wheel. Number Four nervously gave a bright smile.

Fleur grinned. "Congratulations, Klaus. I'm really happy for you."

"Danke." Klaus grinned back.

The Boy glowered. "Excuse me?"

"I'm sorry, okay? I'm sorry. I just needed somebody to come with me for emotional support."

"Oh, emotional support, like a Schnauzer?" Five seethed.

"I knew Flower wouldn't come without you and you wouldn't come if I told you, so what was I supposed to do?"

"You're Goddamn right I wouldn't have come, Klaus. You know why? Because I am supposed to be retired!" Five barked as he held Fleur's knee. They were supposed to rediscover their land of life together.

Fleur flicked Five on the arm with a scowl. "This isn't a chore, Five. It's being there for your brother when he needs you."

"See, Flower gets it." Klaus gestured a hand at her.

Five looked daggers at him. "This was supposed to be a carefree road trip," he hissed.

"Well, it still can be, babe," Klaus told him.

Five's green eyes landed on a passing road sign. "Ball of Twine? Klaus, turn!" The Boy took the wheel.

"What? Five! Five!" Klaus yelled with wide eyes as he struggled to take it back.

"Five! Stop!" Fleur tried her luck.

"It is one of the best ones!"

"Five, we're gonna die!" Klaus shouted as he braced himself against the seat.