CHAPTER FORTY-THREE: The Dress

They arrived at the gala, Five still in his uniform, the guys in their suits, Lila in her flowy blue dress, Fleur in her crisp dark green, and Connor in a show stopping red. The doppelgängers hairstyles were tied up in a similar low bun, which they looked at in distaste on the other.

"Why do we need to park under the bridge? We're going into a party, not robbing a bank," Connor grouched. Five, Diego, Fleur, and Lila jumped over the rock wall onto the bridge. Connor and Haddock looked at each other then went around.

"Uh, speaking of which. Fleur, darling." Five circled a finger around his face. She sighed and shape-shifted into a brunette with tan skin.

The other two got to the top and saw them crouched behind a car. "What're you guys doing?" Five grabbed Connor's hand and pulled her down beside him then Hadd squatted down behind her.

"What's the plan?" Lila softly asked.

"We infiltrate, we identify, we extract. Double time," Diego softly answered, mapping it all out in his head. He was thriving on playing the role of leader again.

"What the hell's he talking about?" Lila asked them.

"Find the old man and get out fast," Five clarified.

Diego glared back at his brother. "That's what I said."

"Okay, the hecketh is this? Why are we hiding when we're literally fixing to walk through the front door?" Connor whispered.

"If anything this seems more suspicious," Haddock added to which Fleur nodded.

"Just go with it," Lila told them.

Connor put her hands up in surrender. "Alrighty, whatever you say my Lilac."

Lila looked at her with a dull expression. "Don't call me that."

"Okayy dark beauty." Connor winked. Haddock rolled his eyes at their game.

Lila narrowed her eyes. "Somehow that's worse."

Connor shrugged. "That's what Lila means so." She purred.

"Okay then hunter." Lila wiggled her eyebrows and they giggled.

Five interrupted their pretend love affair. "Hey, if you two are done flirting we've got more pressing matters at hand."

Lila rolled her deep brown eyes. "Grouchy little turd, isn't he?" she muttered.

"On me... Go," Diego ordered then started quickly walking crouched behind the cars. Hadd and Connor shook their heads in annoyance at the unnecessary action again then stood up and walked to the entrance like normal people. Fleur slumped watching them, desperately wanting to follow, but she'd much rather stick by Five's side.

Connor glanced over at the three still crouched behind the car. "You coming, guys?"

"After you," Five told Lila.

"What, I can't be polite?"

"Cut the crap. Alright? My dimwitted brother might buy your bullshit—" Connor scoffed. If he was insinuating him then he was insinuating her. "That-that I understand. You guys are friends and your husband is just a buffoon—" She crossed her arms. "—Besides the point. I don't trust you for a second."

"O ye of little faith." Lila scoffed.

"Stick it up your ass." Five sardonically grinned.

"Hey! That was uncalled for." Fleur exhaled in exasperation and slapped his arm with the back of her hand, knowing it was his bad side. He hissed as expected. It wasn't hard enough to be too cruel but his injury wasn't all that bad either now. "Lila, are you still working for the Commission?"