CHAPTER FORTY: In Another Time

"Ookay. Well, D.S. Umbrella. This is it," Diego announced. The other two got out of the car and followed Fleur to the door of the clearly closed business. Fleur watched Five and Diego talking and smiled to herself. She touched Five's arm. "I'll catch up."

"You okay?" Diego asked Five. He teased a lot but he loved his brother. He knew that seeing his dad for the first time in a long time was a heavy burden on him.

"Yeah, fine. Just..." He stopped in front of the door glass and sighed.

"How long's it been since you've seen the old man?" Diego knelt down to pick the lock.

"Forty-five years." Five sighed.

Diego whistled. "That's a trip."

"No kidding." He sighed and leaned against the side of the building. "You know, when I was stuck out there in the apocalypse, there wasn't a day that went by where I didn't hear his voice in my head."

"What was he saying?"

"I told you so," Five mimicked his dad's firm voice.

"Well, if Dad's here, he's never met you before, so he can't say "I told you so.""

"I'm sure he'll find a way." The flash of a silver car pulling into a parking spot under a street light caught Five's attention. He stared off at Connor and Haddock getting out of their Spyder, smiling together in their own conversation.

Five blinked in front of Connor. "Jesus Christ, Five." She held her chest.

"We need to finish our talk." He grabbed her arm and teleported her inside the locked building.
"What, about how you plan on murdering me?"

"How far back do you remember? When did the two Connors branch off?"

"Why's it matter to you? You have Fleur, I have Hadd, and we're both happy."

"So, we were a couple." She tried to step around him but he blocked her path. "How did we meet?"

"Get out of my way before I break your arm... Mr. Man." She barely spoke the nickname. Their first date. Something she remembered well. Something she couldn't forget.

His eyebrows furrowed at the sudden news. "When did you... When did you leave for the Commission?"

"We stayed at the Umbrella Academy. They all remained under my spell. One day, my eighteenth birthday, I couldn't handle it anymore. I unrumored you all..." She hesitated on the next bit. Connor licked her lips. "You time traveled us. I ended up in some war-apocalypse-thing where the Handler picked me up, and, I don't know what happened to you. Lost in the timeline is what they told me. I was told to not go looking for you... so I moved on. I'm happy now and so are you so let me go to my husband, Number Five."

Five took a breath and turned his shoulder for her to step past. She did, leaving him with more questions than he originally started off with. He lifted his head to the ceiling and let his thoughts swim.

Before Connor opened the door she turned back. "Hold her close, Five... And Hadd doesn't need to know about this." And with that the lock clicked.

Never left the Academy. What would that life have been like? Would they have ran away together and started a new life until they died by fire? Would they have never left the Academy at all like Luther? All he knew was that he wouldn't be engaged to Fleur like he is now. They had the world at their fingertips with only survival as the cost. He loved what he had and has with his Connor and he wouldn't change a thing.