CHAPTER TWENTY-SEVEN: The Book

"Fleur?" Five croaked out. His eyes slowly opened but found no one there. He sighed and flipped the blanket off of him. He walked to the breakfast table where he saw Klaus pouring a steaming cup of coffee for hungover Luther, covering his face from the sunlight shining in. Five quirked an eyebrow. Usually the other way around.

"Here we go. This'll fix ya," Klaus said while Luther held his head in clear agony over his first hangover. Luther reached for his cup but Five snatched it and took a drink.

He took a drink then grimaced. "Jesus. Who do I gotta kill to get a decent cup of coffee?" Five took another sip anyway.

"Seriously?" One grouched.

"Relax, Luther. He's just grumpy that his Fleur wasn't there when he woke up." Klaus poured Luther another cup.

"Can we get started?" Spaceboy asked in a huffy voice. "Anyone seen any of the others? Diego? Allison? Eight? No?"

"Five, Flower's really not with you?" Five shook his head and diverted his eyes down to his coffee.

"Figured she'd have to be sedated. She was really beat up about you," Luther muttered. Five looked up at this.

"Alright, then, this is the closest thing to a quorum that we're gonna get..." Klaus banged something on the table and Luther winced. "Now, listen up. There's no easy way to say this, so I'm just gonna spit it out." He took a breath. "I conjured Dad last night." They stared at him in disbelief.

"You said you haven't been able to conjure anyone in years," Luther grumbled.

"Ah, yes, I know, but I'm sober. Ta-da!" He made jazz hands to go with his bright smile. "I got clean yesterday, to talk to someone special, and then ended up having this... conversation with dear old Daddy himself." All three of them sighed, not having faith in his word.

"Has anyone got some aspirin?" Luther inquired.

"Top shelf, next to the crackers," Five spout.

"Hey, hey, hey. This is serious, guys, all right? This really happened, I swear."

Number Five leaned back in his chair. "Okay, fine, I'll play. What did the old man have to say?"

"Well, he gave me the usual lecture about my appearance and my failures in life. Yada yada yada. No surprise there. Even the afterlife couldn't soften a hardass like Dad, right? But he did mention something about his murder, or lack thereof, because... he killed himself."

Luther squinted his eyes at him. "I don't have time for your games, Klaus."

The Séance put his hands up. "I'm telling you the truth, Luther. I'm telling you the truth," he pleaded for them to believe him.

Five straightened his posture. "Why'd he do it then?"

"He said it was the only way to get us all home again."

"No. Dad wouldn't just kill himself," One defiantly argued while shaking his head.

"Ah, you said it yourself. He was depressed. Holed up in his office and room all day and night," Five pointed out then went back to his coffee.