twenty-nine

"What the fuck are you doing, Drew?"

Oh, fuck.

Busted.

Drew looked up at Bailey with a guilty look written all over his face as his eyes flickered to the gift and back to her.

"Uh...I lost something?"

She quickly stormed over after having slammed the door, "Put the gift down."

"Bails, I just need to-"

"What are you thinking? Going through Addie's gifts? Are you crazy?"

"I mean, I-"

"Put it down!"

"No!"

"Why?"

"Because I need to know what Jacob got her."

"Why, Drew?"

"Because I need to make sure my gift is better."

"Drew." She huffed, "Addie will love whatever you got her, it's not a competition."

"What if she doesn't?"

"She will." She paused, "Now, just put the gift back together. Please."

"I have to know."

"No, you don't!"

"Yes, I do."

"Drew-"

"Madison-"

"Joseph!"

That shut him right up.

"Madison, why don't you just turn your little back and I'll peek, okay? You can pretend you didn't see anything."

"Oh, cut it out." She groaned, snatching the gift from him and talking it away from him as he followed.

"No, Bails, please, please, listen to me, I have to know what he got-"

"Drew, respectively, this is one of the lowest, and frankly, most embarrassing things you've done." Bailey stated, "This shows me that you still think that you need to prove yourself to Addie in regard to Jacob when you don't! If you'd just focus on being yourself and knowing the relationship you had with her, then this wouldn't be an issue."

Drew huffed, not wanting to admit that she was right.

"Like I said, whatever you got her, she will love. It's Addie."

"That's why it's important, Bails."

Bailey sighed in response, "I'm not letting you peek, Drew."

"Why the fuck did you have to come back in, hm-"

"Uh, no, nope! I'm not letting you talk to me that way when I found you snooping. Not gonna happen."

"I'm just saying if you hadn't of come back, it would've all worked out."

"Yeah, it would've worked out for you, but maybe you should just trust, like I said, that you know Addie and that she would love your gift."

Drew groaned again and Bails rolled her eyes at him.

"Look, why don't you tell me what you got her?"

"What good will that do?"

"We both know Addie pretty well, then I can give you honest opinion."

"Fine." Drew muttered, "She likes to read and once she told me that her favourite book is East of Eden, which also happens to be my favourite book too. Anyways, I found a first edition and I thought she would like it."