nine

The next morning, Addie chatted with Jacob on her way to her audition. And she continued to keep him on the phone as she walked into the building.

"You're going to do great."

"Thanks Jacob." She sighed, "I hope it goes well."

"It will, Addie."

Addie made her way to waiting room as she followed the signs in the building. It didn't seem like there were many people here, but for this audition, she had sent a few tapes in and they apparently had hand picked the people they wanted to potentially move forward with. It created less chaos during days like these. And they were able to narrow it down much faster.

Now, she wasn't expecting to see Drew sitting in the waiting room when she pushed the door open.

But she did.

"You swear it'll go well?"

"I believe in you."

She laughed as she pushed the door open, glancing around briefly before making eye contact with him.

Drew?

Here?

Her eyes widened, "Uh, look Jacob, um, I gotta go, okay? I'll talk to you after."

She watched as Drew's expression twitched slightly at the mention of Jacob.

"Okay Addie, good luck-"

She hung up before he could finish.

Drew was smiling up at her as he motioned for her to sit beside him.

"What are you doing here?" She asked as she sat beside him.

"Audition, remember?"

"So we have the same audition?"

"Outer Banks?"

She nodded, "Yeah."

Drew laughed, "Wow, what are the odds?"

"No kidding, drewseph." She smiled, "Who are you auditioning for?"

He narrowed his eyes at her, "Guess."

She studied him for a minute, "John B?"

He nodded, "Yup. You?"

"Guess."

"Don't be copying my words, Hali." Drew teased as he glanced back over at her, her middle name rolling easily off the tip of his tongue, "Why do I get the feeling you're either auditioning for Kiara or Iris?"

She shrugged, "I don't know."

"Which is it?"

"Iris."

"I could see that." Drew replied, "We're still on for coffee later, right?"

"Of course, Drew. I wouldn't stand you up like that."

"I just wanted to make sure because, uh, I, uh, heard you on the phone with Jacob."

"Oh, right. He was wishing me luck."

"You don't need it. You've got this."

"As do you."

The door suddenly opened and a woman popped her head out, glancing around the room, "Drew Starkey?"

"Shit." Drew whispered under his breath as Addie grabbed his hand.

"Remember, you've got this!"

Drew offered her a small smile before he got up and walked into the room. Addie was eventually escorted into another room first, then to the room that Drew was in, but Drew was no longer there.