thirty-three

"Earth to Adeline? You good?"

Austin Butler was sitting beside her.

Now, obviously she had met Austin during the audition process and for the last month they'd been in meetings together, getting to know each other, but shit, what are the odds that he's also here at this bar too?

"Uh..."

He chuckled softly, "I'm going to assume you're not good."

She closed her eyes slightly, feeling embarrassed. She definitely had mascara on her cheeks from crying on the way here. And even if she didn't, she 100% had puffy eyes and a puffy face.

"God, this is really embarrassing. I'm sorry you came across me like this."

"It's okay, really." He paused, "But seriously, are you-"

She cut him off, "I'm not really okay, no."

"Care to explain?" He asked as she raised her eyebrow at him.

"I'm sure you have better things to do with your time."

"Nah, not really." Austin admitted, "Vanessa's busy tonight so I took myself to dinner, and then I was walking around the city when I saw you."

"Crying on the street?"

"I was pretty far away, I couldn't see much, but I just wanted to check in."

"So you could see me crying then."

"If I say yes, will you explain?"

"Maybe." She said, narrowing her eyes slightly.

"Look, I know this is weird, but I'm truly a good listener."

"I don't doubt it."

"And we'll be spending six months together next year so-"

Addie cut him off again, "Okay, okay, you better shush and put your listening ears on then."

He chuckled at her, "Yes ma'am."

"Okay, so-"

"Oh, shit, wait I need a drink."

Addie glared at him briefly, "Thanks for interrupting me."

"Just taking a page out of your book." He said, winking at her, making her abruptly look away, "Can I get a rye and coke, please?"

The bartender nodded at him, beginning to make it as Austin glanced over at Addie, pulling out his card, "Put her drinks on my tab."

"Austin-"

"Sh." He said as he handed his card over.

"You didn't have to do that."

"Well, I did, so sue me." He said, taking a sip of his drink, "Now you can explain."

"Thank you." She sighed, "But are you sure? You're not going to interrupt again?"

"I promise I won't, unless I have questions of course."

She narrowed her eyes, "Of course."

Of course Austin had questions. And comments. And concerns, truthfully.

"You do realize that you're currently bragging to me about how many guys are after you, right?" He asked, chuckling softly.

"Shut up, Aus. You weren't listening, were you?"

"Actually, I was. You and Jacob had a thing, you hooked up and then you realized you were better off as friends. And you, have some sort of infatuation with Drew that you refuse to admit to him, and to yourself apparently."