fifty-eight

"Addie."

She jumped, realizing she had fallen asleep and Drew was now standing at the edge of the bed.

"You scared me."

"What are you doing here?"

She furrowed her brow at him, "You-you told me to come back here, I-"

"You were leaving with Austin the last I saw!"

"What?"

"I saw you with Austin after you left the party-"

"I didn't know he was coming! Maddie called him because I was clearly not doing well and you weren't paying attention to me!"

"What?" He asked, looking down at her confused.

"The second we got back to the party, you were clung to Odessa. Every second I had to watch the two of you!" She exclaimed as she gulped back tears, "After I told you I loved you- after we-after we-"

"How do you think I've felt the last few years, huh? You think it's been easy seeing you with Jacob? With Austin?" He shook his head, "It's been awful. Absolutely awful, Addie-"

"And I know how that feels!"

"Do you-"

"I just told you I did!" She yelled, glaring up at him, taking a deep breath, "Why were you with her all night?"

"I was with you for most of the night."

"But after, you-you didn't even acknowledge me." She looked away, blinking away her tears, "I just-I just don't understand."

"Yeah, I also don't understand why Maddie called Austin. You couldn't have just come to me-"

"You were with Odessa!"

"It's not like Odessa is a hazard that you can't be around!"

"I don't know if I want to be around her!" Addie admitted.

"Well, she's around me so she's-"

"Why?"

"Why?"

"Why is she around you? What are you two? You're so touchy and feely and-"

"Friends?"

"Most friends aren't...like that."

"Yeah, and most friends don't pine over someone for years only to get continuously put down." His eyes burned into hers.

"Drew-"

"Save it, Addie." He huffed, walking out of the room to his bathroom as she felt the tears begin to fall.

Addie layed back, uncertain of what to do as she snuggled up under the covers, hoping for Drew to come back.

Minutes later, he walked back into the room, stripping himself of all of his clothes, minus his boxers, as he silently climbed into bed beside Addie.

"Drew?" She whispered a few moments later, sniffling softly.

"Hmm?"

"I don't want to fight with you, okay?" Her voice broke again as she felt Drew wrap his arms around her.

"I don't want to fight with you either, Addie."

"You don't?"

He laughed softly, "No, baby. I've waited for you for a long time. I-I'm not an idiot, I know this isn't going to be easy. It's never easy."

She turned towards him, "If we're going to do this-if-if we are really going to try-"

"We aren't going to try. We're going to do it." He muttered, pulling her even closer to him.