Angel of Mine

|Matteo's POV|

As our schedule would have it we were playing Thanksgiving, Christmas, and New Year's Day. It's Christmas Day and we have the afternoon game. Thankfully it was a home game as the other two holiday games were away. My parents were coming into town as were Logan's. I also wanted to make sure Amanda's parents were in town. I was going to be proposing.

During the off-season, I spent time having my jeweler design the ring. The first person I went to was my dad. Over the years, our bond has gotten stronger. I know I can call him for anything and everything. My Grandpa Damien says that relationship flourished simply with me getting older and maturing.

I had been deciding on when would be the right time and I know how much Mandy loves the holiday season. Plus, it would also be easier to get her family out here as most of them had off. It took me months to coordinate this. I wanted everything to be perfect. Who would've thought a post-game interview would turn into me meeting the love of my life.

|Flashback|

I had just finished up a post-game interview and I couldn't keep my eyes off the woman that just interviewed me. I shook off the feeling, heading to go shower and change. When I was coming out, my dumb ass wasn't paying attention and I bumped into someone.

"Oh shit, I'm so sorry."

"It's alright."

I instantly recognized the voice as the woman who had just interviewed me. Amanda, I believe her name was.

"Amanda, right?"

She smiled.

"That would be correct, Matteo.

I gave her a smile right back.

"Um, I need to get going. I'm starving and haven't eaten today."

"Funny you say that, I'm starving too."

She laughed and gave me a knowing look at what I was getting at.

"Matteo, a guy like you has to have a girlfriend."

"A woman as beautiful as you must have a boyfriend, Amanda."

She quickly shook her head.

"I don't."

"Well, now that we have that out the way, we could always talk more over food."

She laughed again.

"You always this bold?"

"Honestly?"

She nodded.

"No, I'm not."

"Neither am I," she quietly replied.

"There's a place not too far. I have my car or you could, you know, take an Uber. We could also always just exchange numbers and meet at another time if you'd like. Whatever makes you comfortable."

"I'll take you up on option number one. Only because I'm really hungry."

I chuckled.

"Alright, come on."

By the time I got to my car, pretty much no one was around. I was usually one of the last to leave when we had home games. Some guys had families, you know girlfriend/wife and kids to go home to. I didn't have that here in Buffalo. It's just been me since I've been drafted. Have I dated, sure. I just was at a point now where I wanted something more serious and wasn't going to just pick up quick fucks. That wasn't my style.