Dog Dean Afternoon: Part One

The war room is silent except for Zeus' breathing. He is sitting by your side with his head perched in your lap. You're mindlessly petting his head with the occasional ear scratch. He looks up at you and tries to read your expression as if he could talk to you about it. Instead, he backs off you and jumps up so his face is next to yours. He licks your cheek twice, and you come back to reality.

"Hey, baby. I'm okay," you sigh and kiss his head a couple of times.

Maryann is six months old, and that would have meant Robert would have been six months. The hole where he should have been is still open and raw, but you're trying with each passing day to make it better. You can go inside his room and sit there in silence without having a complete breakdown, but it still hurts to think about him.

He could have had a life. He was supposed to live. Amara hasn't been present in your head or in your dreams since he died. It's hard to ever think about moving on, but maybe one day you will. Maybe one day you'll think of him and smile instead of cry.

Will you ever have a son?

"Are you okay?"

You look up and see Sam standing in the doorframe between the war room and the library. Zeus gets down and takes a seat to stay by your side. He rests his head on your lap, and you go back to petting his head.

"Yeah. Just thinking about Robert. I'm okay, though," you sigh softly.

"I miss him too," he says and takes a seat next to you.

Dean comes back from the hallway where Sam's room is since he got Kevin back from yet another weekend away to himself. Kevin deserves these breaks, but he's always getting hammered. Dean gave him the perfect hangover drink to sleep off the rest of the day.

"Man, that kid is gonna kill himself," Dean groans and sits down at the table.

"He'll be fine. I got something that's gonna get us back on the road."

"Are you sure you're ready for that?" you ask Sam carefully.

"Why would I not be ready for that?"

"Aren't you kind of running on empty?"

"Yeah, but the last three nights straight, I had eight hours of shut-eye. For a hunter, that's like twenty. Trust me, Dean. I feel good."

"Well, that's great and all, James Brown, but you're still recovering from the trials. I think you ought to pace yourself, you know? I just want you back to your old self."

"I am, Dean. Look, Kevin's back on the heaven spell. Crowley's locked up. We should be out there doing what we do best." Dean still looks unsure, but only you know why. "You want to listen at least? A taxidermist named Max Alexander was mysteriously crushed to death. Nearly every joint in his body was dislocated with every bone broken. The poor guy is a human pretzel. You tell me what's got that kind of strength."

"A demonic luchador?" he jokes.

"The shop's a couple of hours away in Enid, Oklahoma. We should at least check it out. Unless there's some reason you think we shouldn't."

"I think Zeus should come with us. We're always keeping him here. What do you say, Zeus? You want to hunt with us?" He barks once, and you've decided on it. "Go get Joanna."

He perks up and runs out of the war room to grab Joanna.

"The Impala isn't big enough for everyone," Dean sighs.

"Then I guess it's time to take that family car I saw," you grin.

Dean isn't keen on leaving the Impala behind, but he'll be fine without it for a week. Once the kids are ready, you strap them into the back seat, leaving one seat for you. Sam and Dean pile into the front, and you move the back seat forward so Zeus can hop into the third back seat. This is perfect for your ever-growing family.