Dog Dean Afternoon: Part Three

Dean has no choice but to put the car into drive, and head over to the animal shelter. The cops are already there, but that doesn't surprise you. You're kind of scared that if you go in with Noah, and the cops see him, then they will recognize him immediately and take him away. However, Noah is out of the car before you can finish your train of thought.

You take Maryann into your arms, Joanna is in her dad's, and Noah's hand is in the hand not holding your youngest. You four walk into the animal shelter, and the young officer turns to greet you. You hold your breath, but the officer doesn't seem to recognize Noah.

Are you crazy? Most definitely.

Did you think this through? Absolutely not.

Do you regret it? Nope.

"Right, so, yesterday, we were dealing with some sort of a snake monster. Today, it's a killer kitty," Dean scoffs and walks past the kennels.

Some of the dogs bark when they see Zeus, but he's good at not giving them attention. He stays by your side and watches you the whole time. Dean passes by a kennel with a familiar looking-dog and pauses by it.

"Why does that mutt look familiar?"

"That was the taxidermist's dog."

"So, he's been at both crime scenes? Noah says he was at his house. Noah, is this the dog you saw?" Dean asks.

"Yeah."

"Maybe he's a suspect," Dean suggests. "You know maybe he could be a skinwalker? A shapeshifter?"

"He doesn't look like a monster to me."

Dean fishes for a silver dollar that he keeps on him at all times. It doesn't hurt to have something like this just in case.

"Only one way to find out." Dean kneels next to the kennel and sticks his hand in partially. "Come here, boy." Colonel walks closer to Dean until his nose is touching the metal bars. "This isn't going to hurt at all... unless it does."

Dean pets his neck, making sure to press the silver to his skin. However, Colonel doesn't react in the way Dean hopes.

"I guess we can rule out killer," Sam clears his throat.

The sheriff walks over to you, Dean, and Sam, and as soon as Colonel sees the sheriff, he begins barking at him. Dean stands with a confused look but doesn't talk about it.

"Do you agents need any further assistance?"

The Sheriff takes off his hat, and Colonel stops barking. Zeus whines and paws at your leg, and you look at him in question.

"Officer, I think we're okay. Thanks."

"Alright, well, let me know."

The Sheriff puts his hat back on, and Colonel begins barking again. Zeus whines louder; clearly, something is bugging him and Colonel.

"Officer. Excuse me. Uh, can I borrow your hat?"

The sheriff unquestioningly takes off his hat and gives it to Dean. He puts the hat on and Colonel barks at him. Dean removes the hat, and Colonel stops. He does this twice before giving the hat back to the sheriff.

"Good luck getting adopted," the Sheriff says as he passes by Colonel's kennel.

"Bitch," you cough, and the Sheriff shoots you a dirty look.

"Okay, so Colonel isn't a suspect, but he is a witness. The question is, how do we find out what he knows?"

"You know what? This is gonna sound crazy." Sam takes out his phone and dials someone. "I read this book about this guy who tried to teach his dog to speak after it witnessed a murder."