40: Shot With Love

(19 Years Ago)

"Oh babe stop that's so over the top-"
"Nono I mean it whatever you want in this world I'll get it for you you mean that much to me-"

"Agent Tsutsumi."

"-like come on you can't be THAT serious about it-"
"You really wanna put me to the test here? If I mean whatever I mean whatever-"

"Agent Tsutsumi."

"-alright alright then, if you say it's true then fine, I'll believe it go be true. I love you."

"I love you too babe."

"AGENT TSUTSUMI."

Her center of focus snapped away from the two love-struck teenagers across the street 18 year old Tsutsumi blinked several times before turning to her left where her handler, a tall woman wearing a dark purple suit with matching shades, stood with hands on her hips and a left eyebrow cocked at the zoned out hero-in-training. "Yes Aurora-sensei?"

"Snap out of it will you? We have much more important things to do than to stare at a young couple who have googly eyes all over each other." The woman stated, followed by a snap of her fingers and beckon of her hand. "Come along now, we have a patrol to get through."

"Sensei, may I ask you something?" Tsutsumi asked as she joined her instructor on her right side to stroll down the sidewalk. "Have you ever wondered what it would be like if we were normal?"

"If we were normal? I never realized there was anything wrong with us to begin with."

"Well, normal as in normal like everybody else normal. Everybody else who isn't tied to stuff like we are with the Safety Commission, every day citizens and what not."

"No."

"Really?"

"I don't say that because I've never had the time to think about the question you ask me, I think about it all the time truth be told." The woman replied. "And on every instance I've thought about it, the answer remains the same. No. I could care less about being like the rest of this blinded society, my position with the Commission remains clear and absolute."

"But, what about after the Commission and after everything is over and done with?" Tsutsumi asked. "Once you put up your hero outfit for the last time and it never comes back down, you don't think about what liberties you can have when that point comes? A chance to explore? A chance to find something new? A chance to find love?"

"Tsutsumi, lemme ask you this. Do you even understand the definition of what love is?"

"Well, Mom said it's when you share really strong emotions for something or somebody and you cherish it with everything that's worth your heart."

"Cute. But do you know what love REALLY, is?"

"What?"

"Nothing but a lie."

"Sensei?"

"Love is the corruption of a weak mind, the willingness of a human being to make themselves susceptible to harm both physical and emotional." The woman explained. "Having love for somebody is a pointless act, no matter how close you may be to that person there's always reason for them to betray your trust and strike you when you're most vulnerable. Is it really love by then?