Take me on

May was a beautiful month for Wyoming and with the unusual warmer climate for this time of year, everything had really started to bloom. The majority of the snow had cleared by march leaving behind miles of grassy plains that were filled with luscious wild flowers and trees that stood green and full.

Within the high walls of the community, a fifteen acre section had been expanded to allow its residents the blissful opportunity to relax safely whilst submersing themselves in the surrounding nature without the threat of infected, raiders, hunters or anything else that could be lurking on the outside.

Ava, Maddie and Maria strolled leisurely into the area as a three before seating themselves down onto the thick bed of grass. The three had grown a close bond over the years that they resided in the small commune and days like this had become rare with how the community had expanded dramatically in more recent times- there was always so much that needed to be done. It was a break well deserved with Maria now well into her third trimester and being written off any task that was deemed as being too strenuous by Tommy. It had just been a fortunate coincidence that both Ava and Maddie had the afternoon off. It was time for a well deserved and very much over due catch up.

Ava stretched her bare legs out in front and tilted her head back allowing the heat of the suns golden rays warm her face. Her fingers tugging the hem of her floral skirt over her thighs to retain modesty. She hummed as she felt herself instantly relax, her body pleased to absorb the natural heat into her bones.

"I think we are going to be in for a beautiful summer..." She sighed as she took in her surroundings. A clear blue backdrop, long green grasses and a flutter of little white butterflies going about their business.

Maddie was quick to nod in agreement, kicking off her lightweight canvas daps and scrunching her feet into the terrain to feel the soft grass between her toes.

Maria scoffed as she uncomfortably adjusted herself, hands gripping onto her extended abdomen to relieve a fraction of the weight, "As long as it doesn't get too hot before this one arrives. I don't think I can handle any more heat at the moment..."

Maddie twisted a section of her long brunette locks around her finger, almost absentmindedly as she studied the slightly older woman's swollen abdomen, "You do look like you're about to pop."

The three women snickered amongst each other. Maria knew exactly what the brunette was referring too, all round and swollen. She too felt like she was about to pop. She caressed her bump with a soft palm and smiled gently, "well, they aren't due until June but Kevin came a little premature so I'm fully prepared for this one to make an early appearance as well..."

Ava quietly listened in as her two friends discussed the inevitable arrival of baby Miller. What names had been picked out, what gender they believe the little one to be. She was happy for her friend, excited even. She deserved the family she had created - her happy ending but as she observed Maria grow a new life, it only made her realise that it wasn't something she'd ever be able to achieve herself. The one thing a woman was supposed to do- designed to do. She'd never be able to create a family of her own. Those absolute monsters had taken that from her when they drove their knife into her lower abdomen all those years ago.

She could remember as clear as day, the doctor explaining to her that the knife had sliced through parts of her reproductive system and that the chances of it healing were next to none. She was just twenty six at the time, becoming a mother hadn't even been on her radar. She was alive and at that point, that was all she could think of.  After all she had witnessed, the world seemed too fucked up of a place to consider bringing in new life but now living in this little safe haven that was Jackson, it didn't seem like such a terrible notion. In the past two years she'd often wonder what she'd be like as a mother and after watching Maria grow, a slight sense of desolate had crept in.