Dangerous eyes

2 weeks later...

"Hey pretty lady!" Tommy exclaimed as he strolled leisurely into the shop, the bell atop the door jingling as it swung closed behind him.

Ava looked up from behind the counter, giving him an incredulous look with a small smirk tugging at her lips. He was always such a charmer, Maria got lucky with that one, "Morning Tommy."

He approached the counter and leaned in with his elbows resting on the surface.

"What'd you need today?" She asked as she reached for her note pad.

"You still got that M98B out back?"

Ava flicked through her note pad to see if the sniper rifle had already been claimed that morning by the early patrol that had set out, looking up to him with a pleasant smile upon confirming that the firearm had not already been signed out. "Looks like you're in luck."

She scooted the pad and pen across the counter towards him before turning on her heel to briefly disappear into the back room, "I'll just grab it for you, will be two ticks."

Tommy took the courtesy of completing his line in the note pad whilst he waited for her to return with his firearm. Her returning just moments later and placing the gun on the counters surface, ready for him to take, "You need anything else?"

He paused, tapping the pads of his fingers meticulously against the surface whilst apprehensively clicking his tongue against his teeth. Should he say something? Joel had made it crystal clear for him not to say a damn thing and to stay out of his private life but it had been weeks now and he was still actively avoiding the woman at all cost. Plus from what he had seen himself, she appeared to be doing just the same to him. They were both adults acting like goddamn children for goodness sake, it was ridiculous... Fuck it. He had to say something. "Just a few moments of your time, s'all."

The blonde arched a curious eyebrow at him, urging him to continue as she leant her weight on the counter towards him, "Okay..."

He sighed and ran a hand through his hair as he started, leaning back from her close and attentive proximity."Listen, I know-"

Ava pulled back with a roll of her eyes and a heavy huff. She could already guess what this was going to be about, just by his whole shift in demeanour. "If Joel has sent you here then you can stop, now."

Tommy shook his head. Just as damn stubborn as bloody brother..."He's not sent me, I'm here of my own accord and I would appreciate it if you jus' hear me out."

She slammed her eyes once more adjusting her body weight to reluctantly listen in on whatever little speech he had prepared for her. Of course he would run to his big brothers defence...

"I know my brother's an asshole. I know that better than anyone," he started "and yeah, he's done some fucked up shit over the years... but I'm sure we all have in one way or another, right? It's the world we live in."

Ava scoffed and shook her head but before she had chance to interject, he continued.

"But what those fuckers did to you. He wouldn't ever do that to anyone, I can promise you that now."

He watched cautiously as the woman's face clouded over with emotion. Her glossy brown eyes blinking back the hot tears that prickled at the corners of her ducts as once again she was transported back to a ghastly time where she relived those haunted memories.

"How do you know that?" She asked quietly.

Tommy shook his head as he glanced sheepishly down to his hands, he didn't particularly want to drop himself in the shit. Not when he had spent so much time gaining the trust of the community, " 'Cause I know my brother, Ave... Everythin' Joel did was to protect our group and keep us alive, nothin' more."