Three Little Words

16th November 2024

The last week had been hard to describe, her mind transfixed on the tiny life evolving within her, a constant anxious tension bubbling away throughout her body. So fatigued yet the worry wouldn't allow her sleep... The blasted plastic stick shoved away within the darkness her night stand drawer. Maybe if she ignored it, it would go away? Joel had noticed the change in her... of course he did. Little looks of concern flashed her way as she'd zone out of their conversation... he'd never pry though, not really. He was good like that... How was she supposed to tell him? How do you even start a conversation like that? She'd debated on taking another test just in case the first was faulty... but they were rare these days... she knew the town had a stash but that would mean that she'd have to ask someone, someone who would then make assumptions about her little secret... Oh god, the gossip that would ensue. No, she didn't want to do that...

Ava stood rigid over the kitchen sink scrubbing away at the various dirty pots and pans feverishly, perhaps with a little more intensity than usual. Her hands trembling whilst her knuckles turned white at the  harsh grip she had on the sponge, hard eyes and a crease between her scowled brows as her thoughts once again spiralled.

Not a single soul knew other than herself...and possibly the little one growing inside of her. Would they have a conscience yet? When do they evolve one of those? The thought of admitting the situation to Maria was terrifying...she couldn't only imagine her judgemental, disapproving face...She hadn't even been able to bring herself to confess to Maddie, the thought of saying it out loud made her want to shudder. After finding out, she had spent the remainder of the afternoon staring into the abyss trying to come to terms with what was happening but she just couldn't. The idea of growing a life, one that once filled her with a sense of longing, now felt foreign and wrong. What was the saying? Oh yeah, be careful what you wish for.... The fact that a small human was growing inside her stayed permanently on her mind.

She was petrified, beyond that. Scared that she'd be a terrible mother, scared about having to give birth and absolutely terrified that Joel would leave once he found out. Would he even want this at his age? How would he react? Her mind flashing back to the sickening fear on his face when he'd not pulled out in time the first time they'd had intercourse...Shit. She knew that she'd have to tell him at some point, tell him that she was carrying his child but she didn't know how. None of this was apart of her plan. Fuck, having a baby wasn't even on the bloody radar.

Her stupor abruptly startled with a jump as a pair of large hands wrapped around her waist, her body being pulled back into a broad solid wall. Ava sucked in a sharp breath, releasing it slowly as her form relaxed upon remembering where she was and who the hands belonged to. She was so deep in thought that she hadn't heard or sense him approach, "Fuck, you scared the shit outta me. What are you doing?"

He snorted incredulously, an amused smirk pulling at the corner of his lips before asking, "What am I doin' in my own house?"

Normally she'd quip straight back with some witty remark that would cause him to chuckle, yet all she could muster up was a deep unsettled sigh as she continued to scour the poor plate that appeared to be on the verge of cracking under the pressure of her severity.

Joel gave her side light squeeze, his right arm reaching around her to remove the very clean plate from her clutches and setting it down onto the draining board. His brows furrowed as he tried to catch her focus, her evasion of eye contact not going unnoticed. He could sense something was bothering her... that was obvious, her body being stiff as a board but he just couldn't pin point what it was. He'd initially put it down to a bad day...and then maybe just that time of the month but that was quickly ruled out a couple of nights ago...She hadn't been her usual bubbly self for a few days now. Something was troubling her...she looked stressed, "Why are you doin' my house work?"