Halfway

The days seemed to drag slowly as the group of five strictly kept to the security and cover that Oregons national forests provided. Conversation had run mostly dry. Small talk seemed pointless, deep conversations seemed off limits and so most of the time it was just the gentle thuds of the horses hooves that could be heard against the dusty woodland floor.

They hadn't come across much in terms of obstacles. The odd stray infected here and there but they were each easily neutralised with a bullet to the skull before they became an actual issue. One black bear that had piqued some interest in the party passing through and started to get a little too close for comfort but again, a couple of shots fired into the air was enough to deter it from following any further. Apart from that, it had just been tree after tree. Maples, cedar, redwood, fir. Ava could swear that she had become an almost qualified arborist in the past couple of days as she hugged her body around Joel's waist, left with nothing to do other than study her surroundings.

Ellie let out a deep sigh as she turned over her shoulder to address the rest of the group, unsure as to how she had been allowed to take the lead or even if Joel had noticed that she was a few paces ahead of Tommy, "D'you know what I'm really missing?"

A small twitch flicked to Tess's face as she humoured the girl, thankful for the break in silence, "What?"

"A hot shower... I feel fucking grim." The young woman responded with a slight grimace as she peeled the sweat dampened vest from her clammy skin.

The twitch on the older woman's face spread into a half smile, "Amen to that."

Joel couldn't help but interject as he nudged Maxi along upon realising that they were trailing behind. The gelding moving slightly slower than the others under the extra weight of an additional rider, "It's only been a week..."

An incredulous smirk was directed back at him by the twenty year old who he had now deemed as becoming too used to the luxury comforts that Jackson provided, "Yeah, I can smell you...all of you"

He snorted in response, "We've gone longer"

"That was in winter not in the middle of summer when we're sweating our ass cracks off. Besides, you smelt like shit then as well" Ellie grinned earning her a small chuckle from Tommy.

Joel rolled his eyes half heartedly with a huff. His forever stoic expression might lead some to believe otherwise but the fact that the girl was back ripping the shit out of him ignited a small warmth into his chest.

Ava adjusted her grip around him, pulling his attention. The amusement of the situation present in her voice as she added in her two pence, "Hmm. I gotta admit, you've smelt a lot better."

He peered back over his shoulder, big brown menacing eyes looking right back at him. Just like how it used to be. His girls teaming up to bully him, "N' you've smelt a lot worse"

She playfully swatted the flat of her hand against the broad of his back as he let out a low snicker, "T's a compliment, darlin'. Your ass was like a nuclear weapon when you were pregnant"

"You try carrying a seven pound baby that's squeezing your organs at all hours..."

A rather smug shit eating smirk drew across his face as he placed a large hand onto her denim coated thigh, leaving a small squeeze. Even three years on, he still had that sense of pride for the fact that she carried and birthed his baby...oh and the feeling of glory that she bit back.

"Shit, glad it ain't just mine. Maria could clear a fuckin' room in those last coupla months. Swear to god, I was close to wearing my damn gas mask to bed." Tommy chimed in.

Tess could be heard sniggering to herself whilst moving up to take the lead, "It's really taken you boys fifty years to work out that us women have to pass gas just the same as you?"