14

-the fireworks-

BELLYS DAD AND STEP MOTHER HAD WALTZED IN THE ROOM.

Angelica waited nervously for her parents to come. "Hi I'm Victoria and this is John" belly's step mom introduced. "Angelica." Angelica smiled and shook the hands of both.
-----
Angie! Get down here" Cassie called from the bottom of the stairs.

Angelica went down stairs to Cassie to find her parents walking in the door. Sky stood with a large grin, her signature red lip stick, black skinny jeans and a tight purple long sleeve.

Like always sky wore high heels and her toes were painted red same as her fingers. "Jelly!" Sky smiled going to hug her daughter. Angelica hugged back reluctantly.

She loved her mother but sometimes it was hard to forgive her selfishness. "You've grown up so beautiful" her father kissed the top of her head. Angelica cleared her throat.

"Mom. Dad. You remember Conrad" she pointed at the fisher boy going down the stairs. "Mr.&Mrs.Mendoza" Conrad smiled going to shake the hand of his girlfriend dad. "Conrad! It's nice to see you" James, her father grinned.

"It's nice to see you too sir" Conrad smiled back letting his hand drop to his side. Sky wrapped her arms around the male in a tight hug. "Conrad, it's been so long since you've been by the house!" Sky said dramatically before letting the boy go.

Her thick accent made it a bit harder for belly and Steven to understand but everyone else was quite use to it. "Mom it's been like a month," Alex sighed. "I'm glad they aren't at home, it's finally quiet" Alex smirked toward her sister and Conrad.

The tips on Conrad's ears turned red while a cute pink swept Angelica's cheeks. "Shut it Alex" Angelica hissed. Alex laughed loudly. "So mom, dad, Susannah is outside" Angelica directed. Sky's eyes lit up and dragged her husband outside.

Conrad slid behind Angelica holding her waist. "Alex heard us?" He asked. "Well you Aren't the quietest" she muttered back. He pinched her side making her jump from him. "Quit!"

------

Conrad and Angelica were in the pool. "You always smell so good" he muttered in the crook of her neck. "Really?" She smiled. He nodded making her laugh a bit. "It's Chanel and a le labo mix" she said.

He back up to look at her eyes. "Well, I le lab it" he said. She snorted a laugh "your jokes are not funny Conrad fisher". "You're still laughing though Angelica Mendoza" he shrugged. "I think my dad tells better jokes" she said.

Hs shot her a look that made her laugh.

"So tell me about this deb ball" John turned to his daughter. Belly began explaining when he cut her off. "Wait. Is um what was her name?" Johns fingers began snapping trying to remember.

"Angelica?" Victoria stepped in. "Yes! Angelica gonna be debbing with you? Is that what all summer girls are doing?" He asked curiously. "Who cares" belly muttered. "Belly? What's wrong" Laurel asked. "No one gives a shit if Angelica 'im so perfect, look at me, look at me goes to the stupid deb" belly grumbled.

Her face contorted when she seen Angelica standing behind her mother clutching her towel. Laurel turned and looked at Angelica. The Latina's face had a mix of sadness and shame. Had she really been like that?

"Belly that's not nice apologize, Angelica is a very sweet girl" Laurel said. "It's okay Laurel. I'm going to go...do something" she said weakly and walked off.

"What is the matter with you Isabel Conklin" Laurel shook her head and walked off. Laurel tapped sky. "Can I talk to you?" Laurel asked. "Yes. Excuse me" sky said and walked off with Laurel.

Laurel filled her in on the details. Sky went up to Conrad and Angelica's room where the raven haired girl said on the bed. She was in jeans and a white tee instead of her regular clothes.

"What are you wearing? What happened to the shirt and the skirt?" Sky asked her daughter. "I decided to make my outfit a bit more...plain" her tone laced with sadness.

Sky sat down next to her, "why? This isn't your style jelly" she muttered. "I think belly hates me mami. I'm not sure what I did but she said I was like 'look at me! Look at me!'" Angelica looked at her mother with glossy eyes.

"Women never like women like us. You're tall, pretty and smart. Did you seriously think no one was gonna hate you? Mija jealousy is a strong thing" sky said.

"When girls are mean it means they want to be you or want what you have. You have to own what I gave you" she placed a soft palm on her daughters cheek. "You're right" Angelica said.

"When have I ever been wrong? Change and I'll see you downstairs" sky scoffed and walked out.

"Well you gotta use the good blender!" Conrad said. "For what?" Angelica asked. Conrad turned with a bright smile. Cassie turned and looked at Angelica the same way.

"Belly is making margaritas" jere said before turning to his brother. "I have used that thing since the great kool-Aid debacle of 2011." Jeremiah said.

Angelica and Cassie watched awkwardly as the reminisced about a inside joke with the 'good' blender. Angelica sat next to Cassie and watched them make the margaritas.

"Adam!" Laurels shocked voice sounded. Everyone turned to look at mr.fisher. "Happy fourth!" He grinned. Conrad's eyes dimmed as Jeremiah's lit up. "Dad! You came" Jeremiah hugged him.

"Hey guys. Hey Connie, this your girlfriend?" He pointed at Cassie. Cassie uncomfortably laughed. "Im his girlfriend Mr.fisher" Angelica spoke up.

You're gonna love the fireworks I have to show you" Jeremiah said excitedly. The older man took a glass from belly. "Where'd everyone go? Adam." The atmosphere shifted uncomfortably.

Conrad swooped and grabbed Angelica's hand. "Hey Connie can I talk to you for a minute?" His father asked. "We are going to the beach" he said flatly and led his girlfriend out.

She squeezed his hand to remind him she was still there. He smiled back gratefully at her.